Pre-Sessional English Language
- Pre-sessional English Language and Study Skills Courses are essential for students who have a conditional offer from Ulster University, but who have not yet met the English language requirements of their chosen degree programme.
- Students who meet or exceed the minimum English language requirements and hold an unconditional offer for their chosen degree programme, can benefit from the English language and Study Skills learnt on the 7-week Pre-sessional Standard course.
The pre-sessional courses are designed to focus on a combination of raising an awareness of the expectations of UK academic culture, and developing the academic language resources and skills needed to meet the minimum entry requirements of your future degree programme.
The courses will focus on developing and consolidating essential English language and skills for academic purposes including:
- Academic grammar and language development
- Academic writing
- Reading techniques
- Listening and speaking
- Improving pronunciation
- Making presentations
- Participating in seminars and tutorials
- Conducting research
Each pre-sessional course is full time and delivered by the highly qualified CELT team, which has proven experience of helping international students succeed.
Selecting a course
There are two pre-sessional English language courses available. The length of the course you will need to study depends on your current level of English and the entry requirements of your chosen degree.
Degree entry requirement is *UKVI IELTS 6.0 overall (with no band score less than 5.5)
|Pre-sessional course||Your current overall IELTS score or equivalent||Course dates (2021)||Tuition fee||Application closing date (2021)|
|12 weeks||5.0 (Only 1 band score acceptable at 4.5)||10 June - 3 Sept||£2,470||7 May 2021|
|7 weeks||5.5 (Only 1 band score acceptable at 5.0)||14 July - 3 Sept||£1,170||11 June 2021|
* If you require a student visa, please ensure you have taken an IELTS for UKVI (Academic) test at an approved UKVI IELTS centre.
This is a typical weekly timetable of your study.
|Monday||Academic Reading and Writing||Listening and Speaking|
|Tuesday||Academic Reading and Writing||Listening and Speaking|
|Wednesday||Academic Reading and Writing||Guest Lecture|
|Thursday||Academic Reading and Writing||Seminar Skills|
|Friday||Listening and Speaking||Language Awareness/Exam Practice|
Note: timetable may be subject to change.
Assessment and completion
- You will be assessed by both coursework and final examinations.
- All students will take the same assessments during the final weeks of the Pre-sessional course.
- Students on the 12-week programme will have informal assessment throughout the course on grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation and reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- The ongoing formative assessments will highlight your progress as well as the areas you need to improve.
- Successful completion of the Pre-sessional English Language and Study Skills courses at the required level will allow you to progress to your degree programme at Ulster University.
- At the end of your studies, a report is sent to your Course Director.