Professor Liam Maguire
- Dean's Office (Comp, Eng & Be)
- Research Institute
- Computer Science Research Institute
- Magee campus
- +44 28 7167 5508
Professor Liam Maguire is the Executive Dean of the Faculty of Computing, Engineering and the Built Environment.
Originally from County Fermanagh, Liam obtained MEng and PhD degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Queen’s University, Belfast. He joined Ulster University as a lecturer in 1994 and held Senior Lecturer and Reader positions before becoming a Professor of Computational Intelligence in 2007. Prior to being appointed Dean of the Faculty of Computing and Engineering in September 2014, Liam held several senior positions including Head of School and Director of the Intelligent Systems Research Centre.
His research interests focus on data analytics and machine learning with particular focus on bio-inspired approaches. Author of over 250 research papers, Liam has secured extensive research funding and supervised 18 PhD and three MPhil students to completion. In addition to editing special issues of journals and organising conferences, Liam regularly delivers keynote talks at international conferences. His research enables him to collaborate with staff from every faculty in the University either through funded projects or joint research staff/student supervision.
Liam is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology and a chartered engineer with an extensive network of colleagues in the digital and engineering sectors in Northern Ireland. Most recently he has been appointed to the NI Digital Catapult Advisory Board. His research and teaching links extend across China, Japan, the USA and throughout Europe.
Showing 1 to 10 of 169 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- SPANNER: A Self-Repairing Spiking NeuralNetwork Hardware ArchitectureIEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning SystemsDate: (2017)
- Scalable Networks-on-Chip Interconnected Architecture for Astrocyte-Neuron NetworksIEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers.Date: (2016)
- Self-Repairing Hardware with Astrocyte-Neuron NetworksInternational Symposium on Circuits and SystemsDate: (2016)
- Dynamic probabilistic causal relationships among biomarkers, lifestyle and cognition in healthy, mild cognitive impairment, and Alzheimer's disease participantsDate: (2016)
- A kernel-based Gaussian process for combined MRI and PET in Alzheimer's diseaseDate: (2016)
- SpikeTemp: An Enhanced Rank-Order-Based Learning Approach for Spiking Neural Networks with Adaptive StructureIEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning SystemsDate: (2015)
- DL-ReSuMe: A Delay Learning-Based Remote Supervised Method for Spiking NeuronsIEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning SystemsDate: (2015)
- A cognitive robotic ecology approach to self-configuring and evolving AAL systemsEngineering Applications of Artificial IntelligenceDate: (2015)
- Low cost fault-tolerant routing algorithm for Networks-on-ChipMicroprocessors and MicrosystemsDate: (2015)
- Fault-Tolerant Networks-on-Chip Routing with Coarse and Fine-Grained Look-aheadIEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and SystemsDate: (2015)