Delivered by Heads of Doctoral College
This session is for colleagues who have not yet acted as Chair or Internal Examiner for a PhD viva at Ulster. As well as providing a general context and overview of the guidance provided to those involved, the session addresses the appointment criteria, perspectives and roles played by the Examiners and Chair. The recommended Agenda and Recommendations are also considered, as well as the grounds for review of decisions (appeals). Finally participants will have the opportunity to reflect on potential ways to handle the sorts of difficulties which may occasionally arise.
Ulster University staff who have not yet acted as Chair or Internal Examiner for a PhD viva at Ulster.
By the end of this workshop, PhD Supervisors will have:
- Learned the general context and overview of guidance on the PhD viva
- Know the appointment criteria for a Chair / Examiner
- Understand the role of Examiner and Chair in a viva
- Know the format of a viva
- Understand the process in relation to Review of Decision (Appeals)
- Reflected on unexpected circumstances or outcomes
Presentation slides will be provided after the workshop.