Our Safety Advisers aim to provide advice for the University on compliance with H&S legislation, audit to assess safety management standards and provide safety training and advice for staff.
Our Safety Advisors aim to provide advice for the University on compliance with H&S legislation, audit to assess safety management standards. provide training and advice for staff.
The role of Health and Safety Coordinator is to help the Head of School / RI Director / Head of Department to manage health and safety within their area.
Health and Safety Coordinator Duties
Under the direction of the Head of School / RI Director / Head of Department the Health and Safety Co-ordinators will:
- Work with the Head of School / RI Director / Head of Department to:
- Agree a health and safety plan for your area at the start of each academic year and assist with the implementation of the plan during the year
- Draw up a training matrix for the staff in your area and review it annually
- Complete the annual health and safety checklist and report for the relevant faculty or campus committee
- Prepare for the area to have a health and safety audit once every 3 years
- Develop local health and safety procedures;
- Deal effectively with health and safety problems as they arise or refer on to Health and Safety Services for advice if a problem is complex or urgent
- Provide advice to staff, students and others regarding health and safety
- Communicate health and safety information and reports to appropriate members of staff and students;
- Monitor, to ensure that in your area:
- A high standard of housekeeping is maintained;
- Records are maintained to show that portable electrical equipment, extraction equipment, etc. are maintained and tested as required
- Health and safety procedures are being followed
- Co-ordinate on behalf of the Head of School / RI Director / Head of Department the
- completion of fire safety checklists at least twice a year,
- health and safety inspection of offices and other low risk areas once a year and higher risk areas like labs at least twice a year.
- Reporting and investigation of any accidents or near misses involving anyone associated with your School/Dept,
- provision of local health and safety information to new staff and students
- completion and communication of health and safety risk assessments for the significant hazards associated with the work of the School/Dept
- Liaise with other H&S Co-ordinators, Trade Union Safety reps and Health and Safety Services on health and safety matters;
- Attend health and safety meetings if required at either School, Faculty, Department or Campus level.