Library Services for Students
With support from our suppliers, we have been able to add thousands of new e-book titles, research papers and full-text e-journals to our collections, to help our library users during this challenging period.
In this section you will find updates on library services as well as information about the new and supplementary resources, along with advice and guidance on how to use them.
You can also visit the Library website for more information.
If we don’t answer your question
If you have a question which is not answered here, please submit a query and a member of staff will be in touch.Go to enquiry form
Online Access to Library service
The Library will continue to provide access to our full range of online resources.
Most of our electronic resources require OpenAthens access.
Online Library Support
The Library will continue to provide support for students and staff using the following methods:
Support from Library Subject Teams
The Library subject team is working from home to support students through a very unpredictable and anxious time. The easiest way to contact subject librarians is by email.
- Arts, Humanities and Social Science Library team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Computing and Engineering Library team: email@example.com
- Life and Health Science Library team: firstname.lastname@example.org
- UUBS Library team: email@example.com
Subject team members will respond to email enquires during normal working hours (9am-5pm Monday–Thursday, 9am-4pm Friday).
You can use the Subject Support Appointments service to arrange a meeting with subject support staff.
Although we cannot facilitate face-to-face meetings, we can set up an online classroom within Blackboard or use an alternative technology-mediated service.
Our team of Subject librarians have produced a series of online guides to help you find and use the best resources for your course.
These guides can save you hours when looking for quality information resources that are right for your course.
They are excellent for tips on finding e-books and e-journal articles and include many types of interactive learning tools such as video tutorials and quizzes.
Online Library Resources
The Library continues to provide:
Library staff have also prepared a curated list of additional e-resources being made available by publishers & suppliers during the COVID-19 crisis.
Further support is available via the Library Help service.
This gateway allows you to browse the answers to FAQs and ask a question of your own. Library staff can answer general questions about any aspect of the Library service.
No book fines are being added during this exceptional period of closure.
If you have any other queries about book loans, please check in here.
Services for Researchers
- Campus libraries are closed, making our print collections unavailable, but you have full access to online resources such as e-books, e-journals and databases.
- Many of our information suppliers are providing additional resources during this crisis, and a list of these can be found here.
- Print books out on loan at the moment do not need to be returned for the foreseeable future. Any fines accrued during this period will be waived.
- Subject Librarians are all working from home and are available for help with literature reviews, referencing queries, database help, purchase requests and more.
- We are continuing to answer queries relating to open access, researcher profiles, citation information, and information for early career researchers. There is lots of information on our subject guides about all of these issues.
- Our Document Delivery service for paper material is currently unavailable, but if you wish to obtain material that is not in our collections please submit a request using the online form as we may be able to supply it to you electronically.
- Our Library Help service is available for general Library questions, with FAQs and an opportunity to ask a question of your own
- Follow us on Twitter for regular updates
If you have any questions or comments relating to the current Library service, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.