To be eligible for the International Foundation Year you must:
- Normally be 18 years old at date of registration
- Have successfully completed High School education
- Hold 2 AS Levels or equivalent qualifications
- Hold GCSEs in 5 subjects including Mathematics at Grade C or equivalent
- Attain at least an overall score of 6.0 in an Academic IELTS (with no individual band score of less than 5.5)
- Meet the residency or nationality requirements to be defined as an international student for fees purposes
Equivalent qualifications from all countries are considered.
Further details on accepted qualifications can be found at Your Country pages.
If your country is not listed please contact international admissions for further information.
£4,000 scholarship package available for all entrants to the International Foundation Year, commencing September 2019:
The £4,000 scholarship for the International Foundation Year comprises:
- £2,000 tuition fee scholarship for the International Foundation Year
- £2,000 accommodation discount for the International Foundation Year
After your International Foundation Year you will quality for the International Undergraduate Scholarship.
What Degree can I study?
You have the choice of 21 named degrees with an integrated International Foundation Year.
See below for the named degrees in each of our four faculties.
Fees & Cost of Living
As an International Foundation Year student you will live in the Student Roost; modern, high-quality student accommodation in the heart of Belfast city. Student Roost is University-approved accommodation in close proximity to our Belfast campus where you will attend classes.
|Application Date||Accommodation Cost||No of Weeks||Total Cost|
|Application Date: Apply before 31 July 2019||Accommodation Cost: £69 per week||No of Weeks: 40||Total Cost: £2,760|
|Application Date: Apply after 31 July 2019||Accommodation Cost: £119* per week||No of Weeks: 40||Total Cost: £4,760|
* Please note, this is the cost before the £2,000 accommodation discount has been applied.
You do not have to apply separately for the accommodation discount. It is automatically awarded if you apply and pay your deposit before 31 July 2019. For further details see the eligibility criteria.
Cost of Living
Not only was Belfast voted the Number One region to visit in 2018 by Lonely Planet, Northern Ireland is the most affordable region in the UK to live and study (NatWest Student Living Index, 2016).
As an International Foundation Year student, your average weekly living costs will look something like this:
|Expenditure||Cost (per week)|
|Accommodation||£75 (starting from)|
|Utilities (gas, electricity, water etc)||included in accommodation|
|General expenses (socialising etc.)||£30|
|Total weekly living cost||£165|
How to apply
Applying for the international foundation year is free and easy with our online application, simply follow the instructions below.
- Go to the online application
- Create your Login ID and PIN
- Your Login ID must be unique to you and up to 9 characters
- Your PIN must be six numeric characters. (Remember these details as you will be able to save and return to your application as many times as you like before finally submitting it.)
- Select the IFY course you want to study from the list menu