Page content

Accommodation search

Accommodation search

If you choose to live off campus, you will have to secure privately rented, shared accommodation.

There are a number of websites you can visit to search for student accommodation, such as Student Accommodation in Northern Ireland - houses homes flats housing ( or SpareRoom and you can also enquire at local letting agents.

UK Guarantor

The University has partnered with Housing Hand to provide a UK Guarantor service for students seeking UK accommodation.

Before you choose your private rental

  • If there is more than two people sharing the property that are not family, the property must be registered as a House of Multiple Occupation
  • You will be asked to sign a tenancy agreement and pay a deposit
  • You will be entering into a legally binding contract
  • You should complete a detailed inventory within the time limit given by your letting agent or property owner. If something is missing in the property now you should let them know otherwise, you risk not getting your security deposit back in full.
  • Do not pay money up front before viewing any property that you find online, any advert reporting to be from a property owner or agent who is asking for money before you have had the opportunity to view is likely to be a scam.
  • Check that utility bills are included and are these capped.
Budgeting tips

Budgeting tips

  • Unless your rental agreement covers all utility bills, you will have to budget for this every month. If you are living in shared accommodation, utility bills are split between each tenant.
  • Ensure you shop around for the best deals available from utility providers, such as Wi-Fi.
  • Best to lay down some ground rules on how you plan to pay for these to avoid any awkward conversations if someone hasn’t paid their share for the month.