Professor Mark Durkin
- Dean's Office (Ubs)
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 28 9036 6369
Professor Mark Durkin is the Executive Dean of Ulster University Business School.
Prior to joining Ulster University in 1996, Mark spent over a decade in various service, sales and strategic marketing roles within Bank of Ireland Group. Having joined the Bank at 18 he completed all his studies on a part-time basis including a Masters in Marketing from Ulster University (1993) and his PhD from Loughborough Business School (2005). Mark’s teaching and research focus is at the marketing/technology interface and he is interested in the adoption of alternative finance by SMEs and emerging digital competency sets for managers in larger businesses.
Through his career he has been actively involved in many KTP and Innovation Voucher schemes. He was awarded the Chartered Institute of Marketing’s ‘Marketing Person of the Year’ in recognition of his contribution to marketing education in Ireland in 2006 and is an invited member of the CMO (Europe). Mark was a Head of School within Ulster University Business School from 2002-2007 and established and directed the University’s student marketing division from 2007-2010.
Mark is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, a Fellow of the Institute of Banking and is a Senior Fellow of the UK’s Higher Education Academy. He has published over 50 peer reviewed academic papers and is an invited scholar to Babson College in Boston and a visiting professor to Philadelphia University. He is also part of the ‘World Famous Scientist and Scholars Visit Hubei Programme’ in China.
Showing 1 to 10 of 26 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Relationship banking in practice: perspectives from retired ands current bank managersStrategic ChangeDate: (2016)
- A Socio-Technical Perspective on Social Media Adoption: A case from retail bankingInternational Journal of Bank MarketingDate: (2015)
- Cultivating Innovative, Collaborative, Inquiry-Centred Learning Environments: Strategic Perspectives from the Marketing Discipline SpaceDate: (2015)
- A socio-technical perspective on social media adoption: a case from retail bankingInternational Journal of Bank MarketingDate: (2015)
- ON THE POTENTIAL FOR TWITTER TO ADD VALUE IN RETAIL BANK RELATIONSHIPSJournal of Financial Services MarketingDate: (2014)
- PERSPECTIVES ON THE POTENTIAL FOR SOCIAL MEDIA TO IMPROVE COMMUNICATION IN SMALL BUSINESS-BANK RELATIONSHIPSINTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATIONDate: (2014)
- Exploring social media adoption in small to medium-sized enterprises in IrelandJournal of Small Business and Enterprise DevelopmentDate: (2013)
- Marketing to the mature learner: exploring the role of webcommunicationsThe Service Industries JournalDate: (2013)
- Banking support for entrepreneurial new venturers: Toward greater mutual understandingJournal of Small Business and Enterprise DevelopmentDate: (2013)
- Co-destruction of value in context: Cases from retail bankingthe Marketing ReviewDate: (2012)