Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) is a three-way partnership between a business, a university, and a high-calibre graduate known as an associate, that offers a company a chance to collaborate on a business opportunity, idea or innovation to help the business gain the knowledge and capability it needs.
We’ve delivered over 200 KTP projects working with businesses to marry research with industry and help provide solutions to help them develop and grow.
During a KTP , businesses can access Ulster's expertise, specialist equipment and facilities through direct collaboration.
There are also a number of funding opportunities available to support these projects.
Benefits of a KTP
- Developing market leading innovative solutions
- Improving quality of product/service design
- Developing new products
- Improving operational processes
- Reducing costs and increasing revenue
- Enabling co-creation of intellectual assets
The KTP associate is responsible for leading and implementing the project and is based within the business as part of the team, meeting with their academic or research supervisor on a regular basis.
The project usually lasts about two years and during that time knowledge and skills developed is transferred to existing company staff members, embedding new capabilities company-wide.
Applying Technology to a HealthCare Problem
Case study on how we bring expertise from our world-leading research into tangible collaborations with industry partners by putting smart sensing technologies into supportive devices for children with disabilities.
Knowledge Exchange Statement
Get in touch
If you would like to discuss Knowledge Transfer Partnerships contact Amanda Fullerton.
- Championing the Knowledge Transfer Partnerships programme (KTP) and adding value through research income generation
- Stimulating leading Knowledge Exchange collaborations between the University’s researchers and N.I. businesses
- Delivering demonstrable results for the University’s Research & Impact Agenda
Knowledge Exchange Manager - KTP
Innovation & Impact