Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan
Postgraduate tuition fee loans are available for 2019/20 entry.
The Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is available for postgraduate courses studied full-time, part-time 'in attendance', or distance-learning full-time or part-time, over no more than three years.
The Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan for postgraduate study will be:
- Non-means tested
- Available for courses commencing during the 2019/20 Academic Year
- Paid directly to the Higher Education Provider (HEP)
- Applicants must commence the course in the academic year 2019/20 or later (i.e. on or after 1st August 2019)
- Northern Ireland-domiciled students studying at authority/publicly funded institutions in the United Kingdom, and EU students studying at authority/publicly funded institutions in Northern Ireland
- The same residency criteria as for undergraduate student support will apply
- There is no age limit
The Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan will be available for the following postgraduate courses:
- Postgraduate Master’s courses (taught or research)
- Postgraduate Diplomas
- Postgraduate Certificates
The loan will not be available in respect of PhD, Integrated Masters, or Postgraduate Certificate in Education courses.
Students can avail of the loan even if they hold an equivalent or higher qualification – however, students will be entitled to one postgraduate tuition fee loan only.
The maximum loan amount available is £5,500* per course and is capped as follows:
|Length of course||Loan amount|
|each academic year of a two-year course||£2,750|
|each academic year of a three-year course||£1,833|
Please note that students will become eligible to make loan repayments from the beginning of the tax year (April 6th) following their completion of, or withdrawal from, the course – subject to their income exceeding the minimum repayment threshold (for Academic Year 2018/19 this is £17,775 per year, £1,481 per month, or £341 per week before tax and National Insurance).
The Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan will be added to the balance of any undergraduate student loan that the student may have, and a repayment rate of 9% of any earnings over the minimum income threshold will apply to the total loan balance.
Guidance on the Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan is available from Student Finance NI, and application forms are available, both on the Student Finance NI website and from the Student Finance NI Postgraduate office.
*Correct at time of print.
Visit studentfinanceni.co.uk for up-to-date information for 2019/20 entry.