Want to make your student loan stretch a little bit further? Take a look at our tips below.
- Pay rent for the semester as soon as your loan comes in. This means you will know exactly how much money you have left to cover costs during the semester. Make sure you get a receipt.
- Plan weekly menus and make a shopping list. Avoid daily trips to the shop as these can cost much more than one weekly shop.
- Shop smart by choosing supermarket own brand/value goods, rather than the more expensive branded goods. This could save you as much as 70% per shop.
- Check the reduced sections in the evening to see if there is anything you can buy and freeze, you could save 75% or more on some items.
- Bring a packed lunch and your own bottled water/drinks with you to save on additional costs.
- Limit nights out, takeaways and eating out for special occasions.
- Cook in groups or freeze/refrigerate leftovers for a later date.
- Make the most out of your student card. Always ask, "Do you offer a student discount?" as this could save you 10% - 30% in many stores and restaurants. Visit My Uni Days for additional student discounts on top brands and high street stores. You can also get student discount in some online stores. Remember... if you don't need it, it's not a bargain!
- Invest in an NUS extra card. For a small fee of £12 per year, you could save additional money on a variety of items.
- Always ask yourself "do I need this?" and "can I really afford it?" If you haven't budgeted for it, don't buy it.