Mr Peter Mitchell holds a BSc Hons (1979) from the University of Edinburgh and a MSc (1981) from the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and Institute of Food Science and Technology, and a Chartered Scientist.
He was a Project Engineer at Tate & Lyle Group Research and Development in Reading (1982-87) before taking up an appointment as Lecturer in Food Technology in 1987. He was then promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1998.
Peter was awarded a Distinguished Business Fellowship (2005) in recognition of his outstanding contribution to outreach, applied research and knowledge transfer to the island of Ireland food industry and entrepreneurship training for scientists at the University. He established articulation pathways (1997 & 2004) and franchise course provision (2009) in Hong Kong. He remains active in all these areas.
- Industry-academia interface and technology transfer
- Consumer acceptability of new food products
- Innovation led Entrepreneurship, Enterprise in Biosciences, and Transferable Skills
- Food Product Development and Food Safety Management
- Biotechnology and Natural Products
- Course Director (Distance Learning, Part-Time) BSc Hons Applied Biosciences, BSc Biomedical Science, BSc Hons Biomedical and Healthcare Sciences, and Undergraduate Credit Bearing Life & Health
- Course Director (Full-Time) BSc Hons Biotechnology
- Subject Adviser (Hong Kong University, School of Professional And Continuing Education) BSc Hons Food and Nutrition
- Module Co-ordinator for 8 Biological and Healthcare Sciences subject area modules