Dr Murtaza Tambuwala
Lecturer in Pharmacy
Dr. Murtaza Tambuwala is a Pharmaceutical Scientist and academic with a MSc in Pharmaceutical Technology from the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Trinity College, Ireland.
He has earned a PhD in Translational Therapeutics from the School of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University College Dublin, Ireland in 2011 and has over six years of industrial formulation and drug delivery experience gained working with Sublimity Therapeutics (Sigmoid Pharma) Ltd., Ireland.
His main area of research is development of therapeutics for chronic inflammatory disease, cancers, diabetes, infection, and cardiovascular disease.
Dr. Tambuwala has work recognised in inflammatory bowel diseases / bowel cancer and diabetes. The following are current areas of interest that he is pursuing.
1. Identification of novel therapeutic targets
Dr Tambuwala has shown for the first time that genetic loss of prolyl hydroxylase-1 is protective in colitis. Currently, he is working on understanding the connection between inflammation and cancer.
2. New compound screening in in-vivo models of disease
Dr. Tambuwala was involved with the testing of novel prolyl hydroxylases inhibitors in in-vivo models of inflammatory bowel disease for J&J Inc. Currently he is working on solubility enhancement strategies for novel and conventional drugs to increase its bioavailability.
3. Targeted drug delivery
Dr. Tambuwala has carried out extensive work in the development of a colon targeted drug delivery system using Sigmoid Pharma’s patented SmPill technology. His current research is focused on development of drug delivery system using biodegradable particles that selectively and avidly adhere to inflamed endothelium in the gastrointestinal tract. He is also developing 3D printed personalised oral drug delivery system.
Dr. Tambuwala is the Course director for MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences and is involved in teaching on MPharm, MBBS and MSci Biosciences courses.
- Qassim University, Saudi Arabia.
- Peel Trust, UK.
- Inter Trade Ireland – Cross border partnership development incentive.
- Funding agency: Irish Research Council
- Enterprise Partnership Sponsor: Sigmoid Pharma Ltd.
- Prof. Alaa Aljabali, Drug delivery, Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Yarmouk University, Irbid 21163, Jordan.
- Prof. Vladimir Uversky, Molecular biology, Department of Molecular Medicine and USF Health Byrd Alzheimer's Institute, Morsani College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA.
- Prof. Angel Serrano-Aroca, Nanotechnology research, Biomaterials and Bioengineering Lab, Centro de Investigación Traslacional San Alberto Magno, Universidad Católica de Valencia San Vicente Mártir, 46001 Valencia, Spain.
- Prof. Kazuo Takayama, Anti-viral and Stem cell research, Center for iPS Cell Research and Application (CiRA), Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan.
- Prof. Martin Birkett, Nanotechnology research, Department of Mechanical and Construction Engineering, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, United Kingdom.
- Prof. Paul McCarron, Drug Delivery, School of Pharmacy, Ulster University, Coleraine, UK.
- Prof. Paul Maguire, Cancer research, School of Engineering, Ulster University, Jordonstown, UK.