Dr Gavin Breslin
Head of School of Sport
- School of Sport
- Research Institute
- Sport and Exercise Sciences Research Institute
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 28 9036 8478
Dr. Gavin Breslin is a Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology in the School of Sport, Ulster University, a member of the Sport and Exercise Sciences Research Institute and a researcher with the Bamford Centre with a research focus on sport, mental health and well-being.
Gavin is a British Psychological Society (BPS) Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologist of which he Course Director of an accredited MSc programme, a registered practitioner of the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC), and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Gavin has published extensively in the area of sport, exercise and well-being including a recent book entitled, Sport and Exercise Psychology: Practitioner Case Studies (2016, Wiley-Blackwell). Gavin is currently working on a mental health in sport book that describes health behaviour change and evaluates interventions.
Recently Gavin conducted systematic reviews on the use of sport and physical activity for mental health and well-being, and has led in the design of interventions to enhance well-being in sport settings. He is currently developing a mental health and well-being in sport action plan for clubs in Northern Ireland.
Gavin is on Sport Northern Ireland’s Steering group committee for the development of a mental health and wellbeing in and through sport strategy/action plan in Northern Ireland, is a Committee member of the British Psychological Society Northern Ireland Branch, and has consulted with national and international athletes and teams in sport psychology.
His passions are his family, running marathons and trying to understand the psychology of how humans develop, learn, and reach their full potential.
Dr Gavin Breslin, Sport & Exercise Sciences Research Institute, talks about his research into mental health and wellbeing in sport.
Showing 1 to 10 of 60 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Developmental activities and the acquisition of perceptual-cognitive expertise in international field hockey playersInternational Journal of Sports Science & CoachingDate: (2017)
- Promoting Mental Health Awareness in Sport ClubsJournal of Public Mental HealthDate: (2017)
- Physical activity, well-being and need satisfaction in eight and nine-year-old children from socio-economic disadvantageChild Care in PracticeDate: (2017)
- A systematic review of the impact of sport-based interventions on the psychological well-being of people in prisonMental Health and Physical ActivityDate: (2017)
- Testing the psychometric properties of Kidscreen-27 with Irish children of low socio-economic statusQuality of Life ResearchDate: (2016)
- James: Physical Education TeacherPedagogical Cases: Digital Technologies in Youth Physical Activity, Physical Education & SportDate: (2016)
- Elite athlete receptivity to sport psychology consulting in IrelandThe Irish Journal of PsychologyDate: (2016)
- A Review of Mental Health and Wellbeing Awareness Programmes in SportDate: (2016)
- Promoting Physical Activity in Ireland: A Case Study of All Island All Active (AIAA)Sport and Exercise Psychology: Practitioner Case StudiesDate: (2016)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology: Practitioner Case StudiesDate: (2016)