Professor Fionnuala Ni Aolain
Professor of Law
- School of Law
- Research Institute
- Transitional Justice Institute
- Jordanstown campus
- +44 28 9036 8630
Professor Ní Aoláin is Professor of Law and Associate Director at Ulster University’s Transitional Justice Institute (Belfast). She also holds a joint appointment as Robina Chair in Law, Public Policy and Society at the University of Minnesota Law School.
Her book Law in Times of Crisis with Prof Oren Gross (CUP 2006) was awarded ASIL’s Certificate of Merit for creative scholarship (2007).
She is co-author of On the Frontlines: Gender, War and the Post Conflict Process (OUP 2011), and the Handbook on Gender and Conflict (OUP, 2017).
Ní Aoláin was appointed by the UN Secretary-General as Special Expert on promoting gender equality in times of conflict and peace-making (2003). She led an Expert Study on Reparations for the ICC Trust Fund for Victims (2015), and Expert Consultant to UN Women and OHCHR on a Study on Reparations for Conflict Related Sexual Violence (2013).
Ní Aoláin was nominated twice by the Irish Government as Judge to the European Court of Human Rights (2004 & 2007).
She is also Board Chair of the Open Society’s Women’ Program, and serves on the Board of the Center for Victims of Torture and the Georgetown Institute for Women Peace and Security. She was elected to the American Law Institute in 2016.
Showing 1 to 10 of 73 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- After Things Fall ApartHuman Rights & International Legal DiscourseDate: (2017)
- The Relationship of Political Settlement Analysis to Peacebuilding from a Feminist PerspectivePeacebuildingDate: (2016)
- The ‘war on terror’ and extremism: assessing the relevance of the Women, Peace and Security agendaInternational AffairsDate: (2016)
- Transforming Reparations for Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: Principles and PracticeHarvard Human Rights JournalDate: (2015)
- More Women – But Which Women? A Reply to Stéphanie Hennette VauchezThe European Journal of International LawDate: (2015)
- Through the Looking Glass: Transitional Justice Futures through the Lens of Nationalism, Feminism and Transformative ChangeInternational Journal of Transitional JusticeDate: (2015)
- The Trial of Terrorism: National Security Courts and BeyondThe Routledge Handbook of Law and TerrorismDate: (2015)
- Southern Voices in Transitional Justice: A Critical Reflection on Human Rights and TransitionLaw's Global and Theoretical Contexts: Towards a Festschrift for William TwiningDate: (2015)
- The Rhetoric of War: Words, Conflict and Categorization Post-9/11Cornell Journal of Law and Public PolicyDate: (2014)
- The Compatibility of Justice for Women in Jus Post BellumJus Post Bellum: Mapping the Normative FoundationsDate: (2014)