Dates, times and pricing
Written by Jane Coyle
Directedby Stephen Beggs
PowerstoneEntertainment presents the long-awaited revival of The Suitcase. The playwas premiered at the Belfast synagogue during the 2015 Belfast InternationalArts Festival, winning the Belfast Telegraph Audience Award.
It is returning inresponse to popular demand and is touring Northern Ireland as part of HolocaustMemorial Day 2019 commemorations.
Thestoryline moves between Belfast in the present day and Vienna and Berlin duringthe darkest period in 20th century European history.
In1930s Vienna, a young woman dreams of becoming a dancer. Seventy yearslater in Belfast, an elderly German man revisits a painful past, while a motherand daughter unearth a fascinating morsel of his personal history, long hiddenin their family home.
Alove story, a hymn to the restorative power of art and a life-affirming humandrama unfold within a specially composed, critically acclaimed soundscape.
Its central characters are self-styled Belfast man Leo Edelmann, his daughterSofie, his granddaughter Galina and a Viennese dancer called Galina Stein.
Featuringthe same cast and production team as previously, the performance is part of aNorthern Ireland tour, which coincides with the commemorations for HolocaustMemorial Day 2019.Theperformance will be followed by a professionally facilitated post-showdiscussion, lasting approximately 15 minutes. It will focus on issues raised bythe play: cultural identity, enforced deportation, the immigrant experience,mutual respect, reconciliation, coming to terms with the past.
“A story well told … a remarkable piece of theatre.” Irish News
“Such a pretty play … I just loved it.” Audience member, opening night - October 2015
Terms & Conditions of Ticket Sales
- Tickets may not be exchanged or refunded.
- Any tickets remaining unclaimed 15 minutes prior to a performance may be sold.
- Latecomers are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- The use of cameras or recording equipment is strictly forbidden.
- The management reserves the right to alter or cancel performances without prior notice.
- The Management reserves the right to refuse admission, or to request that the ticket holder leave the premises and to take appropriate action to enforce such a request.
- In exceptional circumstances the Management reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket.
- Children aged up to 2 years old who can sit on a parent/guardian’s knee do not require a ticket. However, children aged 3 years and over are required to have a ticket purchased for them.
- Unaccompanied children are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- The Management reserves the right to alter prices, concessions, conditions of sale and seat allocation without notice. If in doubt please check with the Box office.