Dates, times and pricing
Age Suitability: 12 years + (no strong language or content.Dark Humour)
Inspired by the true story of the 17th Century PortrushGiantess, Mary Murphy, Freak Show is an original blast of irreverent theatrefrom Portstewart's Big Telly.
Mary married a dashing French sea captain who gave up hisseafaring to manage her ‘freak show’ celebrity. After years of internationalacclaim, Mary was reported destitute, no longer with her captain, her celebrityforgotten.
The script uses material from Moyra Donaldson's collection'Miracle Fruit' which explores a fascination for the Enlightenment era, thephysical freakery of those living on the margins of society, and a personal,tangible sense of loss.
Premiered in the MAC at the Belfast International ArtsFestival in November 18, Freak Show examines themes of performance,exploitation and consent and reflects a contemporary fascination with fame,scandal and privacy. Clashing dark with light, it will contain maximum craicand heartbreak in spades.
(Soft Border Patrol / Puckoon / Melmoth The Wanderer)
‘Keith Singleton’s portrayal of an Ulster Unionist withloose denture could be spun off into a whole show of its own’. – Alan inBelfast (Puckoon)
'Harley merges staggering, sometimes unsettlingimpressionism with degrees of silent poignancy' – The STAGE
Original music composed by Garth McConaghie
'The Faerie Thorn' (Big Telly Theatre Co., touring):Composer/Sound Designer
'Derry Girls' (Hat Trick Productions / Channel 4): MusicalAdvisor/Arranger
'Hansel & Gretel’ (The MAC, Belfast): Composer/SoundDesigner
Set Design Belfast based artist Anna Donovan
Costume Lorna Gough
Freakshow is written and devised by Zoe Seaton &Nicky Harley, and directed by Zoe Seaton.
Terms & Conditions of Ticket Sales
- Tickets may not be exchanged or refunded.
- Any tickets remaining unclaimed 15 minutes prior to a performance may be sold.
- Latecomers are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- The use of cameras or recording equipment is strictly forbidden.
- The management reserves the right to alter or cancel performances without prior notice.
- The Management reserves the right to refuse admission, or to request that the ticket holder leave the premises and to take appropriate action to enforce such a request.
- In exceptional circumstances the Management reserves the right to provide alternative seats to those specified on the ticket.
- Children aged up to 2 years old who can sit on a parent/guardian’s knee do not require a ticket. However, children aged 3 years and over are required to have a ticket purchased for them.
- Unaccompanied children are admitted at the Management’s discretion.
- The Management reserves the right to alter prices, concessions, conditions of sale and seat allocation without notice. If in doubt please check with the Box office.