Excellent Research & Innovation is one of our underpinning strategies of the University as we support and promote research excellence in all its many forms.
Our position as a centre of excellence has been confirmed and enhanced by the 2014 REF results and we have almost doubled our world-leading rankings from the previous exercise in 2008.
The REF evaluation identified Ulster University as ranked:
- one of the top five universities in the UK for world-leading research in law, biomedical sciences, nursing and art and design
- in the top 10 UK-wide for built environment, biomedical sciences, law, art and design and nursing research
- top in Northern Ireland for research in biomedical sciences, law, business and management, architecture and build environment, art and design, social policy, sport, media studies and nursing.
- first in the UK for outstanding impact in law and joint first in the UK for outstanding and very considerable impact in education research
- second in the UK for Celtic studies research.
These results demonstrate our influence, the relevance of our research informed teaching and our impact in areas as diverse as health, the economy, the creative industries and social policy.
Research & Impact Strategy
Our Strategy for Research and Innovation 2009-2015 is currently being updated following the REF 2014 results and demonstrates a strong commitment "to focus and deepen our contribution to the economic, social and cultural development of Northern Ireland and its global standing" and reinforces our Corporate Goal of 'Focussed Research Excellence and Innovation'.