Magee Library Refurbishment
Latest update: 20th May 2019
Magee Library (Block MM) will undergo significant refurbishment works during Summer 2019 and library services will be moving into another building for the period of the refurbishment. Library services will be disrupted while stock, equipment and personnel move to the new location. When the library re-opens in its temporary location, it will continue to cater for the teaching, learning and research needs of all students and staff on the Magee campus.
- Dates mentioned below may change.
- Please check the library website for further updates.
Why does the library have to move?
- The current library space is going to be refurbished to enhance the learning environment for students.
What services will be offered in the temporary library?
- A range of library, reprographics and ICT services currently on offer in the library (Block MM) will be available in Block MF.
- This includes open access computing, printing and scanning facilities and study space in the Student Hub.
Where will the temporary library be located?
- The temporary library will be located in Block MF in Room MF231.
- The library entrance will be opposite Block MC.
Will there be a library service at Magee campus during Summer 2019?
- Disruption to services will be kept to a minimum but in order for library stock, equipment and personnel to be moved to Block MF, some services will be restricted as follows:
25th May – 9th June:
- Library services on the Magee campus will close during this period to facilitate the transfer of stock, equipment and personnel to the new library space in Room MF231.
- Library services will be delivered via the other campus libraries and library staff will be available Monday – Thursday 8.45am-5pm and Friday 8.45am-4pm.
- Staff and students will be able to request materials, pay fines online via ‘My Account’ and make enquiries by contacting Information Point staff in any campus library.
10th June – 22nd September:
- Library services will be delivered from MF231 and library staff will be available Monday – Thursday 8.45am-5pm and Friday 8.45am-4pm.
- Staff and students will be able to return books, request materials, pay fines and make enquiries.
- Library users may not browse shelves but a ‘request and retrieval’ service from a focused selection of stock will be in place (see below).
- As bookable study rooms will not be available until the refurbished library re-opens, the Student Hub opposite Room MF231 is available as a reading room. This can be used for quiet study or to consult requested materials during library opening times. Please ask a member of library staff in MF231 about access to this room.
23rd September onwards:
- It is anticipated that all library services will be available in the library building (Block MM) during semester opening times: Monday – Thursday 8.45am-9pm, Friday 8.45am-8pm and Saturday – Sunday 1pm-5pm.
What information resources will be available to me and how will the ‘request and retrieval’ system work?
- In liaison with academic staff, all books on reading lists linked to summer teaching will be available in the temporary library location.
- The remaining stock will be placed in storage and will unavailable throughout the refurbishment. Every effort will be made to provide alternative access to these materials from other campus libraries, and external providers.
- The Library provides access to over 500,000 e-books which will be available as normal.
- Having identified items in the library catalogue, you may request your required items as normal OR email the details of each item required to IssueM@ulster.ac.uk.
- If emailing, please include your library borrower number in the email.
- Items will be acquired as soon as possible if available and you will be notified when they are ready for collection.
- Library staff will contact you if the item is not available.
What happens if I want to return a book and the Library is closed?
- A book return bin will be in place opposite the entrance to MF231. Simply ‘post’ your book through the slot and Library staff will retrieve it on the next working day.
- Alternatively, you may return items to staff in the campus libraries at Belfast, Coleraine or Jordanstown.
How can I pay a library fine if the Library is closed?
- Staff and students can use the online payment option in ‘My Account’ on the library website and on the ‘My Day’ portal.
- Call in to the campus libraries at Belfast, Coleraine or Jordanstown on the next working day.
How can I check to make sure my library record is clear?
There are several ways to check your library record:
- Use ‘My Account’ option on the library website and on the ‘My Day’ Portal.
- Call in to the library at Magee campus
- Ring the library at 028 7167 5264 during opening hours (Monday – Thursday 8.45am-5pm and Friday 8.45am-4pm.
- Call in to or telephone the libraries at Belfast, Coleraine or Jordanstown during normal opening hours. See the Library Opening Hours page for details.
Will I be able to access online databases, e-journals and e-books?
- Electronic resources will be available from any computer connected to the Internet whether on or off-campus and are unaffected by the move and refurbishment works.
What happens if I want to request an item through the Document Delivery service?
- Request items online, see the Document Delivery page for details.
Will there be access to computers during Summer 2019?
- Yes. Computing facilities are available in Block MF (MF218) until the library re-opens in Block MM.
- All devices are connected to networked printers.
- Should you need to check or change your network password, a ‘kiosk’ computer will be set up MF218.
Will there be access to photocopiers, printers and scanning during Summer 2019?
- Yes. A multi-function device (MFD) is available in the Student Hub (Room MF227) opposite the temporary Library.
Will students be able to book study rooms during the summer?
- No. Bookable study rooms will not be available until the refurbished library re-opens. The Student Hub can be used for quiet study or to consult requested materials during library opening times. Please ask a member of library staff in MF231 if you need further help regarding this room.
- Students working with support providers may use this room for quiet discussion but as it is a shared facility, discussion will not be private.
- The Student Support office may have rooms available for students and providers to use. Please check with them at MG108G.
Will I be able to access special collection items?
- No. The room housing these collections will not be available until the refurbished library reopens.
- If you have identified items that you wish to consult before the library closes on 25th May, we may be able to set these aside for you. However, this will depend on the condition of the item, so access may not be possible.
When will the Library (Block MM) re-open?
- It is anticipated that the refurbished library will re-open on Monday 23rd September and semester opening times will resume: Monday – Thursday 8.45am-9pm, Friday 8.45am-8pm and Saturday – Sunday 1pm-5pm.
- The open access computer area will be available in line with campus opening times.
What help will be available?
- The Information Point in the temporary library in Room MF231 will be the point of contact for all face-to-face enquiries regardless of whether they are library, ICT or reprographics related.
- Library Help is available online.
- ICT help is available 24/7 via the Service Desk. Please see the ISD Service Desk page for details.
- You may also visit the campus libraries at Belfast, Coleraine and Jordanstown or contact staff there by telephone, see the Contact Libraries page for full details.
Will an introduction to the new facilities be offered?
- We look forward to seeing you in the refurbished library and intend to provide tailored tours of the space in September/October.
Contact Rosina Doherty-Allan, Campus Library Manager, if your question isn’t answered in the information above.