Free Office 365 ProPlus for students
The latest version of Microsoft Office is available to download for current students, free of charge. You can run Office on up to five desktop Mac or Windows. You can also run Office Mobile on up to 5 mobile devices (on supported mobile operating systems).
What do I need to check before I download?
- You need to know you university email address and email password to authenticate yourself as a genuine Ulster University student. Please note this is not the same password as the one you use for the Portal. If you have not changed the password yourself, you can refer to this FAQ: Finding your O365 password to see your password as initially set during online enrolment.
- If you have already got a version of Office on your device, Information Services recommend that you remove it before downloading this new version.
- If installing on a desktop operating system, you must have Windows 7 (or later) or Mac OS X 10.6 (or later)
How do I install Office on my device?
From your device: sign into https://portal.office.com using your University email address and your email password.
In the upper-right corner of the mailbox, click SettingsOffice 365 Settings.
You now have 3 main options:
1. Office: Install the latest version of Office to a workstation
If you are installing Office to Windows 7 or later (see the note regards 32-bit or 64-bit versions below) or Mac OS X 10.6 or later, then select Office, then Install and follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Desktop Setup: Configure your existing version of Office to work with Office 365
If your workstation does not meet minimum specification to install the latest version of Office, or you choose not to install it, then you can select this option and integrate any pre-existing copy of Office with Office 365. Note: you do not need to do this if you have selected option 1 already.
3. Phone & Tablet: Office Mobile Apps / Office 365 email integration
You should select your mobile device/operating system from the dropdown list. iOS, Android and Windows can fully download supported Office apps, while others such as Blackberry and Nokia can provide email integration only. You can also chose to download the aps from your devices app store.
How do I fully activate Office?
If prompted for a product key or to sign in after you've installed Office, click Sign in to an existing Office 365 subscription and use your Ulster University email address and email password. This will fully activate the downloaded application. Failure to activate correctly will restrict the application to read-only.
What happens after I leave Ulster University?
After you leave and your Portal access is withdrawn, the Office applications will enter a state of reduced ‘read only’ functionality. You can either choose to continue in read-only state, or purchase a personal license to regain full functionality, or remove the software entirely.
Note for Windows Desktop Users
The 32-bit installer can be installed on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. If you have 64-bit Windows then you may prefer to download the 64-bit version, you can do this by clicking Advanced then changing the dropdown list to 64-bit, before clicking Install.
To find out if you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows:
OnWindows 7: click the Start button, right-click Computer then click Properties, then under System Type you should see either 32-bit or 64-bit operating system
On Windows 8.0: on your keyboard press Windows Key and D together (to put into desktop mode), then hover the mouse in very bottom right corner, and from the popup menu click Settings, then PC Info.
On Windows 8.1:right-click the Start Button then click System.