Feb 2019 update: please note that we have launched Self Service Password Reset (SSPR). Please see below for more details.
To login to the University Portal and centrally supported student workstations, you will need a username and network password.
To login to many University services you will need a username and password. Passwords are an important aspect of computer and information security. They are the front line of protection for user accounts. A poorly chosen and managed password may result in the compromise of the security of the University's entire corporate network and therefore, of the information hosted on it.
|Username||Your staff eCode (this is your staff number preceded with a lowercase 'e', e.g. e12345678) or your University staff email address|
|Password||Your network password (sometimes referred to as your Active Directory or AD password). If you have forgotten your password, you can retrieve it using the Staff Password Manager.|
Self Service Password Reset (SSPR)
SSPR allows you to register alternate details (text message, alternate email address, secret questions and answers) which will validate you as genuine when resetting your own password via Office 365. It will become mandatory for all Office365 mailboxes prior to the start of Academic Year 19/20, but we would strongly encourage you to register for this enhancement to your account security as soon as possible. For more information including guides and a link to SSPR registration, please see here
Until fully superseded by the enhanced functionality and user experience now offered by SSPR as above, you also currently have the facility to use our Online Password Changer, though we would encourage you to register for SSPR to facilitate all future password changes.
- You forgot your password
- You know your password, but you want to change it
- Your password has expired
- To Manage your staff account - e.g. change your Secret Question Answers
For further information on the Staff Password Manager, read A Guide to using the Staff Password Manager
When to Change Your Password
What Services Are Affected When a Password is Changed?
Once you have changed your network password, the services that the new password will be valid for include:
- Staff desktop (if applicable)
- Email (web access etc)
- University Portal
- Blackboard Learn
- University wireless service
Important note for Postgraduate 'P-Code' users: Only your File Share Service password is affected by a change here. All other services remain valid via your student identity.
The Password Standard contains guidelines for the creation and safekeeping of passwords. Key points that should be adhered to are:
- Do not reveal a password over the phone to ANYONE
- Do not reveal a password to a co-worker or line manager for any reason
- Do not talk about a password in front of others
- Do not hint at the format of a password (e.g., "my family name")
- Do not reveal a password on questionnaires or security forms
- Do not share a password with family members
- Do not write passwords down and store them where they can be found or accessed by others
- Do not insert passwords into email messages or other forms of electronic communication.