Mailing List Service
FAQ on the University mailing list service.
About the Mailing List Service
The Mailing List Service is designed for the central dissemination of information to staff and students of the University via e-mail, known informally as “global mailshots”.
ISD controls a number of standardised lists which allow messages to be targeted at large groups of staff and students. The current standard mailing lists are shown below:
- All Staff
- All Students
- Staff on a specific Campus (Jordanstown, Belfast, Coleraine, Magee)
- Students on a specific Campus (as above)
- Students on NI Campuses only (excludes London & Birmingham)
- All Academic Staff
- All Academic Related Staff
- All Research Staff
- All Non-Academic Staff (includes Academic Related and Research staff)
Requests such as "All Final Year Students" or "All International Students" cannot be facilitated via the standard lists and you should consider adding text to the top of your message such as "FOR THE ATTENTION OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY" to clarify the target audience when sending to a standard list.
A staff member can request a mailshot on behalf of their Faculty or Department. However, you must indicate to the Service Desk the name of the authorising University Senior Officer who has approved the request. This is a Dean, PVC or Head of Department.
A student can request a mailshot (e.g. in relation to requests for research participants), but must have a named sponsoring academic, whose name will also be included in the mailshot and must also have approval from the relevant Dean, as approving Senior Officer.
All released mailshots will have the Senior Officer approval clearly displayed at the bottom of the email text.
Without approval the mailshot cannot be sent. This approval process is designed to ensure that only appropriate and accurate emails relevant to approved University business are distributed.
Mailshots will not be sent in the name of individual members of staff, but will be sent on behalf of the Faculty/School or Department name as appropriate (e.g. "Information Services" or "Faculty of ..."). This sender information must be made clear in the request (see Business Process below).
Information Services has implemented a mailshot system which provides rich-text formatting, so your message can contain text formatting, tables and content such as graphics just like any other email would appear in your staff or student mailbox.
Attachments are not supported. It is not good practice to send an attachment to a large volume of staff and students.
If you require content such as a promotional flyer to be included in your mailshot, this should be uploaded in PDF format to your relevant section of the University website, and the hyperlink to the content added to the mailshot.
All approved mailshot requests should be emailed to the Service Desk at email@example.com
For regular staff mailshot requestors, Information Services can provide an Outlook mailshot template upon request, with advice on how to use it in order to present your information “pre-formatted” to the Service Desk.
This will help to streamline the process of the mailshot being released. Please contact the Service Desk if you wish to avail of this functionality and guidance will be provided.
For ‘ad-hoc’ mailshot requestors, the Service Desk must be provided with the following information in the emailed request:
- Confirmation of the name of the Senior Officer who is approving the mailshot, to be shown on the mailshot as “Approved by...” (ideally via the approval being explicitly included in the ‘email thread’ used to send the request to the Service Desk.).
- The required content of the mailshot.
- Which standard mailing list(s) the mailshot is to be sent to (e.g. All staff and All students)
- The name of the Ulster University business area acting as the sender (e.g. Information Services, School of...)
- The required subject line of the mailshot (please ensure this is kept as concise as possible)
- The title/name of the staff member to be shown in the "email signature" at the bottom of the mailshot.
- If appropriate for Research-related emails sent on behalf of students, the name of the Sponsoring Academic (to be shown on the mailshot as "Sponsored by...")
Failure to include any required information may lead to a delay in submitting the mailshot, or a rejection of a non-approved mailshot. Mailshots that have not been approved by a Senior Officer will be rejected.
The message requestor and their line management are wholly responsible for the message content. This includes spelling; grammar; accuracy of embedded links and compliance with all relevant Ulster University regulations, policies and guidelines.
In addition, If emails are required to be sent on a particular date, we will require 24 hours notice. Otherwise all requests are entered into a queue system for processing.
How to obtain help
Staff and Students of the University, upon mailshot approved by the relevant Senior Officer.
ISD ICT Infrastructure