Cognos Impromptu provides a Business Intelligent Toolkit which allows users to report upon data held within the University's Corporate Databases such as Finance, Human Resources and the Student System (Banner).
The Cognos Impromptu software is included in the Supported Staff Environment (SSE) software image that ISD provides. Users are required to login to the Active Directory service to use the software.
Access to particular databases and reports is controlled by the Cognos software which defines the categories and reports (e.g. faculty/department) a user, based upon group membership, may access.
Some Cognos Impromptu reports are available via a Web interface.
Establishing Cognos Impromptu Reporting Tools access.
- Users wishing to apply for Access to the Cognos Reporting tools must do so by applying through the University's RAD System - for permission to access the particular corporate database reports.
- A RAD authoriser, usually the staff member's line manager, will approve and configure access to the identified database and report suites.
- When access is granted, you will be sent joining details by the RAD authoriser. Once authorisation is granted, contact the ISD Service Desk and request the deployment of the MSD software image onto your computer should it not already be applied.
- After the Service Desk call is executed, you should be in a position to use the software.
- Training and support associated with the features of Cognos is facilitated via the RAD authoriser and is the responsibility of your Department.
Acceptable Use Code of Practice (Ulster University Information and Communication Equipment and Telephony)
How to obtain help
All University Staff members may apply for access to corporate information via the RAD System.
ICT Application Delivery