Important information for Student Leavers
Ulster University reserves the right to regularly review the policy related to the retention of Office 365 email by graduates. In the event of any policy change, there will be a communication to all Office 365 account holders to advise of any such change. You are also strongly advised to regularly monitor this page as policy changes and resultant impact related to your account access will also be outlined here.
IT access levels for Student Leavers
As a leaver your access to centrally managed university IT systems will be disabled on a schedule based on your leaver status.
Graduates may continue to access their Office365 email after graduation and will be provided ‘email for life’ as Alumni. However, the University is required to withdraw access to the OneDrive cloud storage and all other centrally managed IT systems such as Portal, Blackboard and login rights to Student Workstations after you graduate. This withdrawal of services, except Office 365 email, will occur after the Winter Graduation ceremonies in December of each Academic Year.
If you are an unsuccessful leaver, you will have five weeks from your date of student deregistration before access to both your Office 365 email and OneDrive is withdrawn. Other University systems such as the Portal, Blackboard and login rights to Student Workstation will be withdrawn immediately, once your academic status is marked as deregistered by Student Administration.
Check your Leaver Status
Your University IT account is linked to your academic status within your Student Banner record. Once you are correctly marked as a leaver then your IT access to the withdrawn services cannot be restored. However, if you believe this leaver status is incorrect, please contact your relevant Campus Academic Registry Office who can discuss this with you.
Systems that will be withdrawn
- Blackboard Learn
- OneDrive (If you wish to retain files from your OneDrive cloud storage, you must take a copy of these before your access to the OneDrive is withdrawn. Please note that Information Services cannot assist you to retrieve the information stored on OneDrive once access is withdrawn. It is also your own responsibility to ensure you have taken steps to backup any other information stored on University systems that you wish to retain before your access is disabled – as per your leaver status (outlined above)).
- University student workstations access in Library and centrally supported IT Laboratories
- Office 365 ProPlus Licence for free Microsoft Office Applications (after your services are withdrawn, your licence for full functionality of the Office apps on your personal device(s) will be revoked. If you have already installed these applications using the University licence, you may continue to use the apps in read-only mode or alternatively you can convert to a personal licence you have paid for)
Office 365 email account access will be retained as defined by your leaver status, outlined above.
How to access Student Office 365 email after leaving
You may wish to retain access to your student Office 365 mailbox after you leave. Continued Office 365 email access is also essential to ensure you can retain access to your Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR).
The direct link to access Office 365 email is http://portal.office.com
- Student leavers from Academic Year 16/17 onwards will use their email address in the format firstname.lastname@example.org and their network password (e.g. the same password used for access to Portal and Student Workstations).
- Student leavers prior to Academic Year 16/17, will use your their email address in the format email@example.com and their Office 365 email password. If you don't remember your Office 365 password or want to change it, see below.
How to find out your Office 365 email password
You can retrieve the initial email password that was assigned to your mailbox during Online Enrolment via the Banner Student record system.
Once you have found your email password from your Banner record, try to login via http://portal.office.com. If you continue to have issues, please see information below, on how to request a “Student Leaver Office 365 email password reset” via the Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org),
How to change your Office365 Password to a more personal one
You can change your password from the one initially set at Online Enrolment and shown in your Student Banner record by:
- logging into your Office 365 mailbox
- select the ‘Settings Cog’ in the top right hand corner
- In the My account – Settings dialogue box select Password.
- Enter your existing password
- Create and confirm your new password
- If you access via an email client or mobile device app, these services will need updated with the new password.
Requesting a Student Leaver Office 365 email password reset
If you have already attempted login using the password initially set in your Student Banner record (as outlined above) and it has not been successful, you can request a “Student Leaver Office 365 email password reset” via an email request to the Service Desk (email@example.com), stating your Student B Code and Office 365 email address which will help us to identify and authenticate you as genuine.
We may request additional personal information from you to assist in this process, using information stored in your Student Banner record. This identification process is designed for the protection of your mailbox, reducing the risk of identity fraudsters attempting to impersonate you to gain access to your emails.
Ideally, you should send this request using your alternative email address as listed in your Student Banner record, as this will also help us to verify your identity.
Once identity checks are completed, we can issue a password reset email to your requested contact email address.