After your arrival in the UK

In this section

Collecting your BRP card

UKVI instructs that a BRP card must be collected within the 10 days of your arrival in the UK. If you have selected University as your BRP collection point at the time of your Tier 4 visa application, please ensure that you collect your BRP card from the International Office (01F20) in Jordanstown (if you are based in Jordanstown/Belfast campus) after arriving in the UK within 10 working days of your arrival.

If you are a student based in Magee or Coleraine campus, please contact the Student Experience Staff at your campus.

Obtaining a letter confirming you are a full-time student at Ulster University

You may need this letter to apply for a bank account, national insurance number, register with a doctor, register with police or any other instance where you need to provide evidence that you are a full-time student at Ulster University. You can now print a letter confirming you are a registered student through the student portal.

  1. Log on to the Student Portal with your student number and password
  2. Click on the banner icon
  3. Once in the Banner system click on the Student and financial aid icon
  4. Click on Registration icon and click on the link Confirmation of Attendance Letter- International Students
  5. Print the letter and bring it to the International Office Reception for an official stamp

Applying for a National Insurance number

If your visa allows you to work, you must apply for a National Insurance number to work the hours permitted on your visa. Please telephone Job Centre Plus on Tel 08456000643 (lines are open 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday) to arrange an appointment.

Registering with police

UKVI requires Tier 4 Students from certain countries to register with Police after their arrival in the UK.

Please check your visa ‘vignette’ (sticker in your passport), you must register if ‘Police registration’ or ‘Register with police in 7 days of entry’ stated on your visa.

Please click on the following link to check if you need to register with police:

Kindly contact your local police station to make an appointment and register with police. You need to provide the following to register with Police:

  • 2 recent passport size colour photographs
  • your passport
  • your visa ‘vignette’ (sticker in your passport), if you applied outside the UK
  • the letter you got from the Home Office when your application was approved, if you applied inside the UK
  • your biometric residence permit, if you have one
  • correct fees

The police station will record:

  • your full name
  • your gender
  • if you’re married or have a partner
  • your date and country of birth
  • your nationality
  • any past nationalities and dates when your nationality changed
  • your address in the UK
  • the address of the last place you lived outside the UK
  • the date and place you arrived in the UK, and how
  • your passport or identity card details
  • what you can and can’t do with your visa, including how long you can stay
  • your education provider’s name and address if you’re a student
  • your employer’s name and address if you’re working
  • your business details and address if you’re self-employed

The police can ask you for more information. You may also need to fill in an application form before you register

If you lose your BRP card in the UK

Your UK visa (printed vignette in your passport or Biometric Residence Permit card) are very important documents . They are a form of identification, proof of your immigration permission to be in the UK and allow you to travel in and out of the UK.You must take great care not to lose these documents as replacing them can be very costly and time consuming.

If you have lost your BRP card or it was stolen please use the following link to request a new BRP 

You must contact the police to report the loss or theft of your BRP card and get a police case reference number. You must also report this to the Home Office immediately by email on the following email address:  and include the following details in your email:

You should include:

  • Your full name, date of birth and nationality
  • Your contact details
  • Your passport number
  • Your BRP reference number
  • Your police case reference number
  • When, where and how the loss or theft occurred
  • What the damage is (if damaged)

You are required to make a postal application for a new BRP card. The application form is available on the following link:

Kindly include all the below listed documents with your application form:

  • Letter confirming police reference number
  • Original Passport
  • 2 Passport Photographs
  • Letter from University confirming the details of your course and address
  • Police Registration (if applicable)
  • Correct fees as stated on the application form

If you have between 1-3 months remaining, applying for a replacement is optional and for less than 4 weeks leave you do not need to apply.

An application can be made via the postal route or at a Premium Service Centre Appointment. The postal route will take up to 8 weeks. You will be asked to attend an appointment to enrol your biometrics.

Ensure you take your new BRP to your Faculty/School Office once it is received.

Applying for a replacement BRP outside the UK

If your BRP cad and/or passport are lost or stolen outside the UK, you will not be able to return to the UK until those documents are replaced which can take several weeks and you might lose important study time. If your visa has been issued as a vignette in your passport for the duration of your leave entitlement, you will need to apply for a replacement visa by contacting the UK Embassy/Consulate of the country you are in and  reporting the loss or theft of your passport to the police and obtaining a police report.

Once you have obtained a replacement passport or temporary passport, you can apply to transfer your leave to your new passport  by making a Tier 4 visa application and paying the full application fee Use the following link  . When asked to select a visa type, you should choose Other > Others > Vignette Transfer.

You do not need to request a new CAS. You also do not need to submit supporting documents although it is possible you could be asked for these to establish that your circumstances have not changed. Ensure you provide a copy of your new visa to your Faculty/School office.

BRP card error correction - inside the UK

Regardless of whether your error is on a leave to enter or a leave to remain  in the UK ,you will need to follow the instructions in Step 5 on  of UKVI webpage to report any type of error including incorrect amount of leave granted or a spelling mistake in your name. If you are still within 14 days of your BRP card being issued and the error relates to the length of leave you have been awarded you will need to apply for an administrative review.

You will be asked to confirm where you applied for your visa; please note that you need to select 'outside of the UK'  if you collected your BRP upon arrival in the UK but submitted your visa application whilst you were overseas. Once you have completed the required fields your error will be sent to the Home Office for consideration. If your error is not straight forward you may be asked to submit an administrative review.

BRP card error correction - outside the UK

When you receive your Tier 4 visa, you must check that all the details are correct, including your name, type of visa and the start and end dates of your visa. The Home Office awards additional time to the course dates in your CAS. For example, if your course is less than twelve months you should receive an additional two months at the end of the course; if it is more than twelve months you should receive an additional four months.

To amend an error on a 30 day entry permit whilst you are outside of the UK you will need to contact the Visa Application Centre where you applied for your visa. If you spot an error on your permit once you are inside the UK you do not need to have it corrected but please check that the same error does not occur on your BRP. You should also contact the Visa Application Centre if you spot an error on your decision letter whilst still overseas that will affect any of the details on your BRP.

What to do if you lost your passport in the UK

Please contact the police and report the theft/loss of your passport. In addition, obtain a police reference number, then contact the Embassy of your Home country and submit an application for a new passport. Please bring the receipt for your new passport to your monthly sign-in session.

What to do if you lost your passport outside the UK

If your passport is lost or stolen, you must report this to the police in the country where this happened and make an application for a replacement passport. You do this by contacting your country's Embassy, Consulate, High Commission or passport office in the country where you are. It may take some time to receive a new passport.

Replacement of visa vignette

If you have not yet travelled to the UK and you lose your 30-day permit, you will need to apply for a vignette transfer using the same application as if you were applying for fresh entry clearance. Please select the following route as the reason for your visit: .

Deferral via leave of absence

Some students may decide for personal, academic, medical or financial reasons to take a leave of absence for more than 60 days or would like to completely withdraw from the course. If you defer or take an interruption of studies, the University is required to withdraw the sponsorship and report this to the UKVI. The UKVI will curtail your visa and you will be required to leave the UK within 60 days of the date that you start your deferral / interruption.

Deregistration via leave of absence must be approved by an appropriate member of staff within the Faculty and Compliance Team.

If the duration of the break in study for Tier 4 students is more than 60 days, the student must leave the UK and apply for their visa from their home country to return to complete their programme of study. The student will only be approved for the leave of absence, if the programme structure will not change upon their return to complete their programme of study. This will be reported to the UKVI and the student will need to apply for a new visa to re-enter the UK.

Travelling to Republic of Ireland

If you are a national of a non-EEA/EU country, you are required to obtain a visa to travel to the  Republic of Ireland. Please note that you cannot travel to Republic of Ireland on a Schengen visa and are required to apply for a separate visa for the Republic of Ireland. You must apply for a visa from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident.

Please use the following link for more information on how to apply

Travelling to European countries

If you are a national of a non-EEA/EU country, you are required to obtain a Schengen visa to visit any country in the EU.

Please use the following link for more information on how to apply a Schengen visa


If your graduation ceremony takes place after your existing Tier 4 leave ends, you may return to the UK under the Standard Visitor (tourist) immigration route because you will no longer be a student. It is not possible to apply for this visa from inside the UK. Non-visa nationals do not need to apply for this visa in advance but must leave the UK in order to re-enter as a visitor.

The Standard Visitor route should only be used after you have been awarded your degree, as it restricts study activity - for instance, it is not appropriate for returning for your dissertation or re-sit etc.

It is not possible to extend your Tier 4 visa to cover your graduation ceremony.

Visa expiry and overstaying

The course end date is determined by when the University expects you to have completed all required elements of the course and is the same for all students on that course. The Home Office expects you to leave the UK on or before your visa expiry date, unless you have applied to extend your stay in the UK or to switch into another immigration category. However, in certain circumstances your Tier 4 visa may be curtailed.

You must leave the UK by the expiry date of your visa unless you have submitted a visa application to extend your permission in the UK; there is no ‘grace period’ following the expiry date of your visa. You will become an ‘overstayer’ if you are in the UK the day after your visa expires without having submitted a valid application for further leave to remain in the UK or having obtained other valid immigration permission.

This is the case even if you are able to enter the UK as a visitor without a visa - you cannot switch from Tier 4 to visitor status automatically from within the UK but would need to leave the UK and enter as a visitor. Entry to the UK is at the discretion of Border Force officials. The University will not allow you to continue your studies as an ‘overstayer’. You would also need to declare this on any future visa application to the UK and many other countries. Overstaying is a criminal offence.

In the final months of your visa

The University remains responsible for you until you leave the UK, you can switch to another visa category or move to another Tier 4 Sponsor. During your additional leave granted at the end of your course (or your curtailed leave if you complete early), the Home Office allows you to work full-time within certain limits. If you start employment on your existing or new visa, please advise us of your employer's details and the visa held which permits you to work.

If you would like to continue studying at Ulster

In line with Tier 4 policy, if you wish to continue studying at Ulster, having successfully completed one course you must apply for a new Tier 4 visa within six weeks of the new course start date or before your leave expires, whichever is earlier.

Please contact the International recruitment team for information and details to apply for a new course on