Convened by Dr Noreen Giffney (Lecturer in Counselling at Ulster University/ Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist) and Dr Eve Watson (Psychoanalytic Practitioner, Dublin) in collaboration with Mr Ivan Ward (Deputy Director of the Freud Museum).
The event brings together psychoanalytic clinicians, artists and academic researchers to think about the enduring influence of Sigmund Freud’s ‘Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality’ (1905) on contemporary clinical, societal and cultural understandings of sexuality.
The event will focus on the following three questions:
- What is the influence of Sigmund Freud’s ‘Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality’ on contemporary clinical psychoanalytic practice and psychosocial considerations of sexuality?
- What might clinical psychoanalysis learn from queer theories of sexuality?
- What do we mean when we speak of ‘experience’ and ‘encounter’ within the context of practice and theory?
The event has been awarded 6.5 CPD points by the Psychoanalytic Section of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy (ICP) for clinicians who attend.
The event is sponsored by the Freud Museum, Psychoanalysis +, the Centre for Media Research at Ulster University, and the College of Psychoanalysts — UK.
Registration will open in late November/early December and will be via the Freud Museum. Tickets are £70 (full fee)/ £50 (reduced fee)/ £45 members of the Freud Museum. We expect the event to book out very quickly when registration opens. To join the mailing list to be informed as soon as registration opens, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 15 invited speakers are:
- Dr Lisa Baraitser (Reader in Psychosocial Studies at Birkbeck, University of London, & Joint Principal Investigator for ‘Waiting Times’, a Wellcome Collaborative Award in Medical Humanities): http://www.bbk.ac.uk/psychosocial/our-staff/academic/lisa-baraitser & http://www.bbk.ac.uk/waitingtimes/
- Dr Meg-John Barker (Senior Lecturer in Psychology at the Open University, Psychotherapist, & Academic-Activist): http://www.rewriting-the-rules.com & http://www.open.ac.uk/people/mjb2276
- Professor Caroline Bainbridge (Professor of Psychoanalysis & Culture at Roehampton University, & Psychoanalytic Organisational Consultant): https://pure.roehampton.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/caroline-bainbridge(4582df58-4810-4db3-b638-ecf2d138bcea).html/
- Dr Heike Bauer (Assistant Dean/Head of the Department of English & Humanities, & Senior Lecturer in English Literature & Gender Studies at Birkbeck, University of London): http://www.bbk.ac.uk/english/our-staff/full-time-academic-staff/bauer
- Ms Karla Black (Turner Prize-nominated Visual Artist, & her sculpture 'There Can Be No Arguments' is the cover image for 'Clinical Encounters in Sexuality'): https://www.davidzwirner.com/artists/karla-black/biography & http://www.galeriecapitain.de/artists/karla-black/works.html
- Dr Olga Cox Cameron (Psychoanalyst, & Founder of the Irish Psychoanalytic Film Festival): https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/psychoanalysing-documentary-film-8th-psychoanalytic-film-festival-tickets-30410051282#
- Dr Noreen Giffney (Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist, & Lecturer in Counselling at Ulster University): http://www.psychoanalyticpsychotherapyclinic.ie & https://www.ulster.ac.uk/staff/n-giffney
- Professor Katherine Johnson (Professor of Psychology & Sexualities at the University of Brighton, & Chartered Psychologist): https://www.brighton.ac.uk/staff/katherine-johnson.aspx
- Ms Ann Murphy (Clinical Psychologist, Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist, Former Director of the MSc in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy at Trinity College Dublin, & Visual Artist): https://www.annmurphyartist.com
- Dr Ona Nierenberg (Psychoanalyst, & Senior Psychologist at Bellevue Hospital Center, New York): https://med.nyu.edu/faculty/ona-i-nierenberg
- Mr David Richards (Psychodynamic Psychotherapist, & Executive Committee, British Psychoanalytic Council): http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/therapists/in/930507/london-central/london/david-richards & https://www.bpc.org.uk/find-a-therapist/therapist/7125
- Professor Sasha Roseneil (Professor & Executive Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Essex, & Group Analyst): https://www1.essex.ac.uk/sociology/staff/profile.aspx?ID=5169 & http://sasharoseneil.com
- Dr Raluca Soreanu (Wellcome Trust Fellow in Medical Humanities at Birkbeck, University of London, & Psychoanalyst): http://www.bbk.ac.uk/psychosocial/our-staff/researchers/raluca-soreanu
- Dr Fintan Walsh (Reader in Theatre & Performance, & Co-Director of the Birkbeck Centre for Contemporary Theatre at Birkbeck, University of London): http://www.bbk.ac.uk/english/our-staff/full-time-academic-staff/fintan-walsh
- Dr Eve Watson (Psychoanalytic Practitioner, & Editor of Lacunae Journal): http://www.leesonanalytic.com/our-therapists/185-eve-watson & http://appipsychotherapy.com/publications/
This event has ended
Saturday 24 February
9am to 5.15pm
The Freud Museum, 20 Maresfield Gardens, London NW3 5SX