Education and Drama in Healthcare
Nursing students in year 3 and Drama students in year 2 will explore the use of drama in healthcare education and patient care.
Outline of Activity
Nursing students in year 3 and Drama students in year 2 will explore the use of drama in healthcare education and patient care through engagement with each other in a set of educational and confidence building activities that will ultimately result in them acting as patients / clients in a variety of healthcare scenarios.
As a result of this activity, students will:
- Work collaboratively in a cross-disciplinary team
- Analyse and develop their presentation of self to others (through use of appropriate body language, tone of speech)
- Advance their self-confidence
- Expand their repertoire of communication skills
- Evaluate the use of role play in education
- Explore the potential for integration of drama within healthcare settings
Students will complete a record of the event with information on:
- What were the 3 best aspects of the interaction and 3 elements that would have improved it?
- How the skills they have developed during this activity will be of benefit to their future professional practice.
Students should submit this account to Carmel Quigley within 1 week of the activity.
Level of Commitment
Independent study: organisation and preparation: 15 hours
Face-to-Face contact: 15 hours
Total: 30 hours