Coleraine Cornfield Biodiversity Project
The Cornfield Project aims to transform a piece of unused urban land into woodland, wildflower areas, environmental project trails, bird / bat boxes, nature zones and outdoor teaching facilities.
Outline of Activity
With the support of academic staff within the School and the Causeway Coast & Glens Council Biodiversity Officer, Ulster University students will work with teachers from several local primary schools to develop teaching resources on Biodiversity and Ecology. Academic staff and participating students will lead groups of pupils from local Primary Schools on field-trips to the Cornfield Project site, assisting with completing the workbooks and producing a display in a follow-up session back at their schools.
- Demonstrate a range of teaching and learning strategies in the delivery of a curricular activity sessions in primary schools.
- Articulate areas of personal & professional development.
- Demonstrate improved:
- Subject knowledge, levels of confidence & competence.
- Verbal & written communication skills.
- Collaborative working skills.
- Presentation skills.
- Ability to manage / prioritise / organise their time in a practical teaching context
- Interpersonal skills – effectively working with children, parents, teachers, council staff.
Develop targeted lesson plans and accompanying workbooks related to the Cornfield Project on the following topics:
- Insects and pollinators.
Students will also complete a Cornfield Project Reflective Learning Log book outlining:
- Their roles & responsibilities within the project.
- The various range of activities participated in.
- Their range of skills developments through participation in project.
- The log book must be completed and submitted and verified by the associate head of school.
Level of Commitment
30 hours to include:
- Development of targeted teaching resources related to biodiversity topics
- Leading/managing groups of primary children on field trips
- Display production
- School’s presentation development / delivery
- Completion of EDGE workbook.
Find out more about this activity below: