Civil Engineering Student Membership Scheme
This activity recognises students who have maximised the opportunities afforded to them by student membership of the professional bodies and used the resources to develop and enhance their employability.
Outline of Activity
All first and second year students enrolling on Civil Engineering programs, during induction week are provided with presentations by the professional bodies to encourage them to join as student members. The Institutions that carry out these presentations are the Institution of Civil Engineers, The Institution of Structural Engineers, Engineers Ireland and the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation. As student members they will have access to a number of resources including: mentoring, information, advice and regional events.
On completion of this activity students will be able to demonstrate:
- They have engaged with the professional bodies through attendance at events, networking with members and using resources
- They have used the Civil Engineering Student Membership scheme to enhance their employability.
To be given credit for this activity students must demonstrate at least 20 hours of engagement with the professional bodies including evidence of attendance at a minimum of six events, networking with at least two members (online proof required) and engagement with online resources (such as website, LinkedIn and social media).
Student will submit evidence of these activities, in a two section report, as follows:
- Event Engagement Log, for each event this should have:
- Event Date
- Evidence of attendance (proof from the professional body itself is
required), 50-100 word summaries on the issues presented.
- Proof of LinkedIn Connections with professional bodies and minimum of 2 individual members.
Level of Commitment
To gain credit students must evidence at least 20 hours of engagement with the professional bodies allied to Civil Engineering.
Details of available events are on the following websites and links are provided through the Civil Engineering Support Area: