Residential Life-enhancing life in the Halls of Residence
This activity will involve workshops developing skills and awareness of residential accommodation, health and safety and conflict mediation/resolution.
Outline of Activity
Students will need to successfully complete each workshop before progressing to the next activity. Upon completion of all activities students will complete the "Reflective Evaluation work sheet” where they outline what they have learned at the workshops and training events and how this has prepared them for a Residential Support Assistant role.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of the differing needs of residential students
- Develop and implement events and actions to enhance the student experience with the emphasis on support and community integration
- Be aware of the emergency health & safety situations that can occur within the residential environment – fire, flood or student activity and how to respond appropriately recognising the different support services available at Ulster University
- To develop skills in conflict mediation and resolution relating to minor disputes, serious disputes, threats and anti-social behaviour..
Students will be required to complete a worksheet after each activity detailing their learning outcomes which will be signed off by the work shop facilitator.
- Identify the skills / knowledge achieved through the workshops attended and how these can be applied to supporting students within a residential setting.
- Outline the activities you participated in whilst attending the interactive workshops and what you learnt – team building, conflict mediation, safe talk, first aid etc.
- How has participation prepared you for a role as a Resident Support Assistant?
Level of Commitment
32 hours to include
- One day group work activity
- 3 and a half day course of residential workshops
- Students must show a high level of engagement and commitment to supporting students and enhancing the residential experience.
- Students must engage fully at all workshops and reflect on what they have learnt in the work sheets and show how they can apply the learning when providing feedback upon completion of the activities.