Design your career journey
This activity will help students to visually identify and articulate their own career goals and ambitions through researching relevant industries and sectors using Mind Mapping as a creative methodology.
Outline of Activity
Many students are unclear of their career options using the degree they are currently studying. As the world of work is changing on a global scale, there are many new and existing job roles which students need to be aware of to ensure they make informed decisions throughout their employability journey. Design your career journey will help you proactively explore your career path.
- Acknowledge the importance of career ownership and career planning through the development of a visual map
- Identify and articulate their own career goals and ambitions through researching relevant industries and sectors
- Create a structured, creative and focused plan for an online presentation
- Effectively present and adopt professional standards in an online context
- Appreciate the importance and role of body language and personal projection in delivering an effective online presentation
- Develop self-motivation, confidence and self esteem
Upon completion of this activity, students will be able to:
The next webinar for Design Your Career Journey takes places Friday 29 January at 10am. Book your place via this link.
(a) Attend an initial 30 min webinar session on how to develop an effective Career Mind Map.
(b) Attend an individual 1-1 coaching session with your Employability Advisor
(c) Students will be required to create a Mind Map through researching their chosen career area/s using the Prospects website - What can I do with my degree? Link: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree
(d) Deliver a short, impactful PP presentation (5 mins), based on your Mind Map research to highlight your career plans and goal/s. Feedback will be provided.
(e) Submit a 300-word reflective summary
Level of Commitment
20 hours total to include:
Attending a webinar (30mins)
Participation in 1:1 expert coaching (30 min)
Mind Map independent research/preparation (16 hrs)
Presentation delivery/feedback session (30 min) 300-word reflective summary (2.5 hrs)