Applying for a Postdoc
Participants will learn about becoming a post-doctoral researcher and about identifying the most suitable position as well as exploring possible career paths in order to help an informed decision about future careers in research. The workshop will also look at potential sources of funding, particularly in the fields of arts, humanities and social sciences and business.
By the end of the workshop participants will:
- Be aware of possible career paths and the realities of pursuing a career in research
- Understand what is involved in working as a contract post-doctoral researcher
- Be aware of the similarities and differences between being a PhD Researcher and a contract researcher
- Be aware of different approaches in identifying post-doctoral researcher positions
- Be aware of a range of factors to consider when choosing and applying for post-doctoral positions
- Have a clear expectation about what may be involved in a post-doctoral interview and be aware of common features in the recruitment process for contract research positions
- Be aware of considerations to take into account before accepting a postdoctoral position.
The Vitae Researcher Development Framework
This session maps on to Domain B of the Vitae Framework: Personal effectiveness which includes the sub-domain areas of:
- B1: Personal qualities
- B2: Self-management
- B3: Professional and Career Development