To develop learners with existing knowledge and skills in gym instruction to pursue a career in personal training.
Suitable for Gym instructors wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as personal trainers or individuals, who already hold a gym instructor qualification, wishing to become self-employed running their own personal training business.
Sign up for course updates
Sign up to receive regular updates, news and information on courses, events and developments at Ulster University.
We’ll not share your information and you can unsubscribe at any time.
About this course
In this section
To develop learners with existing knowledge and skills in gym instruction who would like to develop their skills and knowledge to pursue a career in personal training. The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential, therefore a degree of physical fitness is necessary.
There is an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) and application of number involved, and learners should have basic skills in communication and application of number pitched at levels 3 and 2 respectively.
- To provide you with the knowledge of anatomy and physiology, functional kinesiology and concepts and components of fitness
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to successfully gather and analyse client information using the most accepted techniques
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to assess a client’s current health and fitness status
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to be able to plan and conduct a physical activity session, within a variety of environments using multiple resources
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to perform a client consultation using the most accepted methods and providing strategies for successful behaviour change
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to be able to communicate effectively to build successful relationships with their clients and other health care professionals
- To provide you with the knowledge to be able to prepare for employment or to set up in business on a self-employed basis
- To provide you with the knowledge and skills to be able to manage, evaluate and improve own performance
- To provide you with the knowledge to be able to offer nutritional advice for physical activity based on clients’ needs
Content: You must achieve all mandatory units.
Mandatory Units - This qualification comprises of 7 mandatory units. The first 3 units have already been achieved at Level 2 (unit 1,2,3) and in order to achieve the full personal training certificate learners must achieve units 4,5,6,7.
• Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity (M/600/9015)
• Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment (T/600/9016)
• Principles of exercise, fitness and health (A/600/9017)
• Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health (A/600/9051)
• Programming personal training with clients (F/600/9052)
• Delivering personal training sessions (J/600/9053)
• Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme (L/600/9054)
- Multiple Choice Examination
- Portfolio of Evidence
- Practical Demonstration/Assignment
- Learners may also progress onto qualifications in related sectors, like Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside personal training in the health club environment or own business.
- Alternatively, learners may broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing onto qualifications mapping to additional branches of the Level 3 Standards, such as Exercise Referral and Leisure Management.
Assessments are week commencing 12 September 2016.
Jordanstown Campus, Classroom/fitness suite, Ulster University on the following dates from 9.00 am - 5.30 pm:
- Week 1: 05/07/16 - 08/07/16 (closed the following week for holidays)
- Week 2: 18/07/16 - 22/07/16
- Week 3: 25/07/16 - 29/07/16
The Active IQ Certificate in Personal Training is at Level 3 on the Qualifications and Credit Framework. It also provides access onto The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) at Level 3.
A suitable Level 2 qualification in Gym Instructing.
- 5 July 2016 Apply
Price and payment
In this section
You must register and pay for this course online.
For further information:
Telephone: (+44) 028 9036 6680