Professor Paul Carmichael Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- +44 (0)28 903 66157
Professor Paul Carmichael is Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences. He joined Ulster University in 1992 as a Lecturer in Public Administration, becoming a Senior Lecturer in 1997, Reader in 2002 and Professor of Public Policy & Government in 2004.
Paul obtained an honours degree in Economics and Public Policy in 1989 from Leeds Polytechnic. He was awarded a PhD in Public Policy in 1992 from the University of Strathclyde and a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education in 1995 from Ulster University. Before taking up the post of Dean, Paul had been the Head of the School of Criminology, Politics and Social Policy since 2005. Since 2000, he has been Honorary Secretary of the Political Studies Association of the United Kingdom and a Visiting Fellow in the Centre for British Studies at the Humboldt University of Berlin. Paul is keen to advance the research agenda of the Faculty while developing all aspects of teaching and learning.
In 2007, Professor Carmichael was elected as an Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences.
Originally a native of Kingston upon Hull in England, Paul has lived in Northern Ireland for over 18 years.
Responsibilities: Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences which comprises the School of Communication; School of Criminology, Politics and Social Policy, School of Education; School of Law; School of Sociology and Applied Social Studies; the Graduate School for Professional Legal Education, the Research Graduate School, the Transitional Justice Institute, the Social and Policy Research Institute; and, INCORE.
Showing 1 to 5 of 60 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Local Government Reform: community planning and the quality of life in Northern IrelandAdministrationDate: (2015)Creators: Knox, Colin and Carmichael, Paul
- Debate: Devolution in Northern IrelandPublic Money and ManagementDate: (2010)Creators: Carmichael, Paul and Knox, Colin
- Modernising Local Government in Northern IrelandDate: (2008)Creators: Knox, Colin and Carmichael, Paul
- Whither a Shared Future?Date: (2008)Creators: Knox, Colin and Carmichael, Paul
- Rethinking the Review of Public AdministrationDate: (2007)Creators: Knox, Colin and Carmichael, Paul