Professor Rory O'Connell Director of Transitional Justice Institute
- School of Law
- Research Institute
- Transitional Justice Institute
- +44 (0)28 903 66693
Rory O'Connell joined the Transitional Justice Institute and School of Law in 2013 and was appointed Director in 2014. Rory's research and teaching interests are in the areas of Human Rights and Equality, Constitutional Law and Legal Theory.
Rory is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, and teaches at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Rory studied law at University College Dublin, thanks to a scholarship. During his degree, he spent a year as an ERASMUS student at the Université de Rouen. In 1992, he graduated with a Bachelor of Civil Law (European Legal Studies) degree (First Class) and received a UCD Open Postgraduate scholarship. He proceeded to write an LL.M. by thesis on The Irish Courts and Equality Before the Law, graduating in 1994, with First Class honours. He moved to the European University Institute, Florence to undertake a PhD on the theory of constitutional interpretation and graduated from the EUI in 1997, with Distinction. Rory's first lecturing post was in Comparative Law at Lancaster University Law School. From 2001 to 2013 he was a member of the Human Rights Centre, School of Law at Queen's University of Belfast.
Rory is on the Executive of the Committee on the Administration of Justice, is a member of the Editorial Board of Minority Rights Now (NICEM) and is the editor of the RightsNI Blog. He is also one of the members of the UK team of Bologna Experts.
Showing 1 to 5 of 13 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Freedom of ExpressionHuman Rights in Northern Ireland: The CAJ HandbookDate: (2015)Creators: O'Connell, Rory and Mageean, Paul
- Applying an International Human Rights Framework to State Budget Allocations: Rights and ResourcesDate: (2014)Creators: O'Connell, Rory, Nolan, Aoife, Harvey, Colin, Dutschke, Mira and Rooney, Eoin
- Recovering the History of Human Rights: Public Finances and Human RightsHuman Rights and Public FinanceDate: (2013)Creators: O'Connell, Rory
- Human Rights and Public FinanceDate: (2013)Creators:
- Fixed Points in a Changing Age? The Council of Europe, Human Rights, and the Regulation of New Health TechnologiesEuropean Law and New Health TechnologiesDate: (2013)Creators: O'Connell, Rory and Gevers, Sjef