Professor Fionnuala Ni Aolain Professor of Law
- School of Law
- Research Institute
- Transitional Justice Institute
- +44 (0)28 903 68630
Professor Fionnuala Ní Aoláin is concurrently Professor of Law at the University of Ulster's Transitional Justice Institute in Belfast and the Dorsey and Whitney Chair in Law at the University of Minnesota Law School. Professor Ní Aoláin is the recipient of numerous academic awards including a Fulbright scholarship, the Alon Prize, the Robert Schumann Scholarship, a European Commission award, and the Lawlor fellowship. She has published extensively in the fields of emergency powers, conflict regulation, transitional justice and sex based violence in times of war. Ní Aoláin was a representative of the prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia at domestic war crimes trials in Bosnia (1996-97). In 2003, she was appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations as Special Expert on promoting gender equality in times of conflict and peace-making. In 2011, she completed a Study on Reparations for Conflict Related Sexual Violence for the OHCHR and UN WOMEN.
Her book Law in Times of Crisis (CUP 2006) was awarded the American Society of International Law's preeminent prize in 2007 - the Certificate of Merit for creative scholarship. Her book On the Frontlines: Gender, War and the Post Conflict Process was published by Oxford University Press (2011). And Guantanamo and Beyond: Exceptional Courts and Military Commissions in Comparative Perspective (CUP, 2013) was co-authored with Professor Oren Gross. She has held Visiting positions at Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School, Princeton University, and The Institute of Advanced Studies at the Hebrew University (Jerusalem). She was appointed to the Executive Council of the American Society of International Law in 2010 for a three-year term, and was co-chair of the 2014 ASIL/ILA Joint Annual Meeting. She has been appointed as an Expert by the ICC Trust Fund (2015), and the Office of the High Commission on Human Rights (2013) and UN Women (2013). She is Board Chair of the Open Society Foundations Women's Program.
Showing 1 to 5 of 71 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- The Relationship of Political Settlement Analysis to Peacebuilding from a Feminist PerspectivePeacebuildingDate: (2016)Creators: Ni Aolain, Fionnuala
- Wars, Cyclical Conflict and the War on Terror and Extremism: The Relevance of the Women, Peace and Security AgendaInternational AffairsDate: (2016)Creators: Ni Aolain, Fionnuala
- Transforming Reparations for Conflict-Related Sexual Violence: Principles and PracticeHarvard Human Rights JournalDate: (2015)Creators: O'Rourke, Catherine, Ni Aolain, Fionnuala and Swaine, Aisling
- Through the Looking Glass: Transitional Justice Futures through the Lens of Nationalism, Feminism and Transformative ChangeInternational Journal of Transitional JusticeDate: (2015)Creators: Brown, Kristian and Ni Aolain, Fionnuala
- The Trial of Terrorism: National Security Courts and BeyondThe Routledge Handbook of Law and TerrorismDate: (2015)Creators: Ni Aolain, Fionnuala and Gross, Oren