Richard Davies Lecturer in Computing Science
- School of Computing & Maths
- Research Institute
- Computer Science
- +44 (0)28 903 68913
Richard Davies joined the School of Computing and Mathematics in 2001 as a Research Assistant and continued to work in this capacity until 2013 when he was appointed Lecturer in Computer Science. His research interests are aligned to the Smart Environment Research Group (SERG) and primarily focus on technologies to support independent living, assistive technologies and personalised self-management systems. In particular Richard has experience in designing and developing systems using various assistive technologies to support long term chronic conditions such as stroke, chronic pain, congestive heart failure, coronary obstructive pulmonary disease and dementia.
Richard is working towards his fellowship of the HEA and has conducted a number of pedagogic over the last two years. During his time as a Research Associate Richard worked extensively on both National and European projects to develop technologies to support independent living in the context of an ageing society. Prior to this, Richard obtained a Beng(Hons) in Electronic Systems from Ulster University.
Richard is currently pursuing a PhD within the School of Computing and Mathematics which aims to improve post stroke rehabilitation through the introduction of assistive/wearable technology. His main research focus is in stroke rehabilitation and he continues to publish in this area.
Richard has been a member of the IET for over 15 years and has served on various panels and committees such as Engineers Ireland Accreditation panel, ICOST2012, CinC 2010, ICOST 2006 and PHealth 2004. In addition, he has co-chaired a workshop on Assistive Technology at the IEEE BIBM conference.
Showing 1 to 5 of 48 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Assistive Technology for Older PeopleGerontechnology: Research, Practice, and Principles in the Field of Technology and AgingDate: (2016)Creators: Davies, RJ, Fukuda, R, Hua, HM, Martin, Suzanne, Mulvenna, Maurice and Merkel, S
- A Personalized Self-Management Rehabilitation System with an Intelligent Shoe for Stroke Survivors: A Realist EvaluationJMIR Rehabilitation and Assistive TechnologiesDate: (2016)Creators: Mawson, Susan, Nasr, Nasrin, Parker, Jack, Davies, Richard, Zheng, Huiru and Mountain, Gail
- ReApp – A Mobile App for the Rehabilitation of Ankle SprainsDate: (2015)Creators: null
- Design of a smart insole for ambulatory assessment of gaitDate: (2015)Creators: Mustufa, Y. S. Ashad, Barton, John, O'Flynn, Brendan, Davies, RJ, McCullagh, PJ and Zheng, H
- Developing a personalised self-management system for post stroke rehabilitation; utilising a user-centred design methodology.Disability and rehabilitation. Assistive technologyDate: (2013)Creators: Mawson, Susan, Nasr, Nasrin, Parker, Jack, Zheng, Huiru, Davies, RJ and Mountain, Gail