Professor Bryan Scotney Professor of Informatics
- School of Computing & Inf. Engineering
- Research Institute
- Computer Science
- +44 (0)28 701 24648
Professor Bryan Scotney received a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Durham, UK in 1980, and a PhD in Mathematics from the University of Reading, UK in 1985.
He is Professor of Informatics at Ulster University, where, from 2005 to 2015, he was Director of the Computer Science Research Institute. He has over 260 publications, spanning a range of research interests in mathematical computation, especially in digital image processing and computer vision, pattern recognition and classification, statistical databases, reasoning under uncertainty, and applications to healthcare informatics, official statistics, biomedical and vision sciences, and telecommunications network management.
In recent years he is an investigator on the EPSRC NETWORK in Next Generation Networks Systems and Services (EP/F030118/1), the EPSRC–DST funded India-UK Advanced Technology Centre (IU-ATC) of Excellence in Next Generation Networks Systems and Services (EP/G051674/1 and EP/J016748/1), an ESRC-funded project on Design for Ageing Well (RES-353-25-0004), and the EU FP7 Security programme projects SAVASA, on a Standards-based Approach to Video Archive Search and Analysis, and SLANDAIL, on a Security System for Language and Image Analysis. He is currently an investigator on EU Horizon2020 projects DESIREE (Decision Support and Information Management System for Breast Cancer) and ASGARD (Analysis System for Gathered Raw Data, commencing September 2016), and an NSF-SFI-DEL-funded US-Ireland Centre Partnership on Agile Cloud service Delivery.
From 2007 to 2014 he was President of the Irish Pattern Recognition and Classification Society.
Showing 1 to 5 of 179 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Tri-directional Gradient Operators for Hexagonal Image ProcessingJournal of Visual Communication and Image RepresentationDate: (2016)Creators: Coleman, Sonya, Bryan, Scotney and Gardiner, Bryan
- Multiscale Edge Detection using a Finite Element Framework for Hexagonal Pixel-based ImagesIEEE Transactions on Image ProcessingDate: (2016)Creators: Gardiner, Bryan, Coleman, Sonya and Bryan, Scotney
- BIOLOGICALLY MOTIVATED SPIRAL ARCHITECTURE FOR FAST VIDEO PROCESSINGDate: (2015)Creators: Jing, Min, Coleman, SA, Bryan, Scotney and McGinnity, TM
- Multiscale “Squiral" (Square-Spiral) Image ProcessingDate: (2015)Creators: Jing, Min, Coleman, SA, Bryan, Scotney and McGinnity, TM
- A Novel Spiral Addressing Scheme for Rectangular ImagesDate: (2015)Creators: Jing, Min, Scotney, BW, Coleman, SA and McGinnity, TM