Dr Karyn Stapleton Senior Lecturer
- School of Communication
- Research Institute
- Institute for Research in Social Sciences
- +44 (0)28 903 66321
Karyn Stapleton is a Senior Lecturer and Subject Director for Communication, and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She holds a BSc Hons (first class) in Communication (1997) and a PhD in Communication (2001), both from Ulster University. Prior to joining the School in 2007, she worked as a researcher on a number of externally funded research projects.
Karyn’s core teaching and research interests are in interpersonal communication, social psychology, discourse analysis, and identity management. She has published 30 peer-reviewed papers in these areas, and was an invited contributor to the Handbook of Pragmatics (de Gruyter, 2010). She co-edited Devolution and Identity (Ashgate 2006, with John Wilson); and is currently co-editing Advances in Swearing Research (Benjamins, with Kristy Beers Fagersten).
Karyn holds professional membership of the ICA, BPS, IPrA, IALSP, and ECREA, and in 2014, was appointed to a Royal Irish Academy multidisciplinary committee. She is a reviewer for a range of journals and conferences and has acted as an ESRC End of Award Rapporteur. She is a member of the Organising Committee for the 15th International Pragmatics Association (IPrA) Conference (Belfast, 2017) and was a joint recipient of the 2015 Belfast Ambassador of the Year award. She has also been a member of the Organising/Program Committees for (ECREA) ICSI conferences (2011 and 2013).
Karyn has co-supervised three PhDs to completion and is currently co-supervising three PhDs in applied areas of communication. She is External Examiner at ITT, Dublin, and was External Examiner at Manchester Metropolitan University (2012-2016).
Showing 1 to 5 of 31 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Accountable preferences? Discourse, identity and the anti-prejudice normJournal of Language and Social PsychologyDate: (2016)Creators: Stapleton, Karyn
- Conflicting categories? Women, conflict and identity in Northern IrelandEthnic and Racial StudiesDate: (2014)Creators: Stapleton, Karyn and Wilson, John
- Conflicting categories? Women, conflict and identity in Northern IrelandEthnic and Racial StudiesDate: (2013)Creators: Stapleton, Karyn and Wilson, John
- Discourse in the shadows: Discursive construction and the Northern Ireland AssemblyDiscourse & SocietyDate: (2012)Creators: Wilson, John and Stapleton, Karyn
- Double-Bind Accountability Dilemmas: Impression Management and Accountability Strategies Used by Senior Banking ExecutivesJournal of Language and Social PsychologyDate: (2011)Creators: Stapleton, Karyn and Hargie, Owen