Dr Phil Ramsey Lecturer
- School of Communication
- Research Institute
- Centre for Media Res.
- +44 (0)28 903 68858
Phil Ramsey is Lecturer in the School of Communication and member of the Centre for Media Research at Ulster University, where he has worked since August 2016. Prior to that he was Assistant Professor in Digital and Creative Media at the University of Nottingham, Ningbo, China (2012–2016). He holds BA, MA and PhD degrees from the School of Media, Film and Journalism, Ulster University, where he also taught extensively between 2007 and 2012 at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In the School of Communication he teaches political communication, public relations and digital media.
Phil Ramsey’s research focuses mainly on media policy and public service media in the UK, with a specific interest in the work of the BBC. His work addresses media governance and the political-economy of the UK’s media system. Other strands of his research have dealt with government communication in the UK, the relationship between media and democracy, and critical approaches to political public relations.
A focus in Ramsey’s research on Northern Ireland (NI) addresses cultural policy in the region, focusing on the role of public funding and cultural institutions in shaping media and culture in NI. His work has been published in a number of international journals, including Media, Culture & Society, Convergence, International Journal of Cultural Policy, Journal of Radio and Audio Media, Cultural Trends and Space and Polity, among others. He tweets on media policy and higher education policy at @ramsey_phil.
Showing 1 to 5 of 6 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- ‘It could redefine public service broadcasting in the digital age’: assessing the BBC’s proposals for moving BBC Three onlineConvergenceDate: (2016)Creators: Ramsey, Phil
- The contribution of the UK’s commercial public service broadcasters to the public service television systemDate: (2015)Creators: Ramsey, Phil
- Public Relations and PoliticsThe Public Relations HandbookDate: (2012)Creators: Somerville, Ian and Ramsey, Phil
- Identifying and Addressing Barriers to Inclusion for Young Players in Northern Ireland International Football. University of Ulster, Jordanstown.Date: (2011)Creators: Hargie, Owen, Somerville, Ian and Ramsey, Phil
- IdeologyThe Encyclopedia of Political TheoryDate: (2010)Creators: Porter, Robert and Ramsey, Phil