Dr Conor McGrath Lecturer
- School of Communication
- +44 (0)28 903 66605
Conor McGrath re-joined the School of Communication in 2015, having previously taught here from 1999 to 2004. He teaches public relations theory and practice, lobbying and political communication at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Conor is currently course director of the BSc in Public Relations; he has previously undertaken that role for MSc programmes in lobbying and public affairs, and in journalism. He acts as editor of the ‘Ulster PR Student Blog’. A member of the Centre for Media Research, Conor’s research interests centre around lobbying and public affairs, public relations, and media coverage of politics.
Conor’s degree was in politics and parliamentary studies at the University of Leeds, which included a year spent on placement in the US Congress and UK House of Commons. He has worked as a researcher for a Conservative MP, as a senior account executive at a political intelligence firm in Westminster, and as a self-employed lobbyist. He undertook a Postgraduate Certificate in University Teaching in 2003, and his PhD was awarded in 2008 for a thesis titled ‘Lobbyists as Professional Political Communicators’. Conor became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in 2015.
Conor currently acts as Deputy Editor of the Journal of Public Affairs, and as Practice Editor of Interest Groups and Advocacy. He has in the past served as: President of the Political Studies Association of Ireland; Chairman of the Northern Ireland Government Affairs Group; a member of the Management Board of the European Centre for Public Affairs; and Chair of Education at the Public Relations Institute of Ireland. He has written or edited seven books, and published over 30 journal articles and book chapters. Conor can be found on Twitter at: @ConorMcGrathPR
Showing 1 to 5 of 41 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- Lessons in Lobbying Regulation from the UK & IrelandThe SAGE Handbook of International Corporate and Public AffairsDate: (2016)Creators: McGrath, Conor
- Lobbying in United KingdomLobbying in Europe: Public Affairs and the Lobbying Industry in 28 EU CountriesDate: (2016)Creators: McGrath, Conor
- Learning to LobbyInterest Groups & AdvocacyDate: (2015)Creators: McGrath, Conor
- 'They Are Not My People': Barack Obama on Lobbying and LobbyistsJournal of Public AffairsDate: (2013)Creators: McGrath, Conor
- Charles Weller Kent: The UK's First 'Parliamentary Lobbyist' (1913-1916)?Journal of Legislative StudiesDate: (2013)Creators: McGrath, Conor