Karen Bonner Economic Policy Centre Associate - Senior Research Fellow
- Economic Policy Centre (EPC)
Dr Karen Bonner is a Senior Research Fellow in the Enterprise Research Centre (ERC) within the Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship Group of Aston Business School. Her research interests lie within the areas of entrepreneurship, small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) growth, productivity, exports and innovation, all of which support the ERC’s aim of providing policy-relevant evidence on enterprise and SME growth in the UK.
Karen is one of the UK team members on the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM), responsible for the administration of the project in the UK; data analysis and co-authoring the UK and UK sub-regional reports. GEM is regarded as the world’s foremost study of entrepreneurship and seeks to understand entrepreneurial activity; attitudes towards entrepreneurship amongst the population; and also how national policies set and influence the context for entrepreneurship.
Karen recently completed her PhD which was motivated by the enduring productivity gap between NI and the UK. Focusing on NI firms, and creating a unique panel dataset for the analysis, she specifically sought to examine how firms’ productivity growth is affected by exporting, innovation and public financial assistance.
Karen is a proficient user of micro-level data and has vast experience in the analysis of firm-level datasets. She has recently undertaken a wide range of projects, analysing different aspects of firm behaviour and growth, for clients such as The Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the British Business Bank; Goldman Sachs, Scottish Enterprise and Forfás.
Showing 1 to 10 of 99 publications
To view all publications please visit Ulster University Institutional Repository (UIR)
- The Transfer of New Knowledge into Practice: Exploration of Implementation Plans in Palliative Care ResearchPalliative MedicineDate: (2016)
- The use of Infrared Aided Photography in Identification of Sites of Bruises after Evidence of the Bruise is Absent to the Naked EyeJournal of Forensic and Legal MedicineDate: (2010)
- Algebraic polynomials with random coefficients with binomial and geometric progressions.Journal of Applied Mathematics and Stocastic Analysis.Date: (2009)
- Management of uncertainty and spatio-temporal aspects for monitoring and diagnosis in a Smart HomeInternational Journal of Computational Intelligence SystemsDate: (2008)
- A linguistic-valued weighted aggregation operator to multiple attribute group decision making with quantitative and qualitative informationInternational Journal of Computational Intelligence SystemsDate: (2008)
- Seat Booking System for a CineplexComputer and Information Science (Quarterly)Date: (2008)
- A linguistic lattice-value approach for fuzzy multi-objective decision makingJournal of Multiple-Valued Logic and Soft ComputingDate: (2007)
- Using Situated Learning Theory To Explore Tablet Pc Use In Academic Work: Perceptions Of Staff And StudentsIADIS International Journal on Computer Science and Information SystemsDate: (2007)
- Further Validation of Fire Dynamics Simulator using Smoke Management StudiesInternational Journal on Engineering Performance-Based Fire CodesDate: (2007)
- A Vehicle Overtaking Model of Traffic DynamicsChaosDate: (2007)