Bursaries for full time undergraduate students

University Bursaries (UK and EU Students)

The University offers a bursary of £403 if you are from a household with lower income. To be eligible for this bursary, you must be permanently resident in Northern Ireland or the EU (excluding GB students).

You must be paying the maximum fee of £4030 and your residual household income must be £19,203 or less (however, if you are on a Social Work degree, where additional financial support is available from government, you are not eligible to a bursary).

You do not have to apply for a bursary as the University awards these on the basis of financial information received from the Student Loans Company (SLC).  It is essential that the University receives details from the SLC of household income in order to assess the amount of bursary to which you are entitled.  If you or your parents have ticked the box on the PN1 application form to opt out of sharing this information a bursary cannot be assessed or paid.

Deadlines for Financial Support

To guarantee you get a payment at the start of the first term of your course, make sure you and your family fill in and return your application form by the relevant deadlines. In 2017/8 the deadlines are as follows:

For new students who choose not to supply financial information in their form. April 2018
Other new students June 2018

If you miss your deadline, there is no guarantee that you will receive a payment at the start of term.  If, after your course starts, you decide that you want to apply for financial help, you must apply no later than nine months after the first day of the academic year of your course.

Your application will generally take six to eight weeks to process.

How to check the progress of your application online

The Student Finance NI ‘customer portal’ allows all students in Northern Ireland to access their details online. You can update your customer details, view letters that have been sent to you and view the details of scheduled payments.

Further information is available on the customer portal

EU Students (excluding United Kingdom)

If you are from another country in the European Union, you are not eligible for student loans for maintenance or for grants. You are, however, entitled to apply for a tuition fees loan. You will have to provide your National Identity number.

If you wish to apply for a tuition fees loan you should contact the Student Loans Company as follows:

Student Finance Services Non UK Team
Student Loans England
PO Box 89
County Durham

Phone: +44 (0)141 243 3570 (9am – 5.30pm)
Website: www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance-EU
E-mail: EU_Team@slc.co.uk