Student obligations

We are delighted that you are studying with us at Ulster University. To make sure everything goes smoothly, please read all of the enrolment information below.

You are responsible for enrolling online each academic year via the Student Portal (go to My Studies tab and then to the Registration & Enrolment channel) or directly on the online enrolment pages.

The following points should be noted:

  • enrolment forms must be signed by an appropriate academic or administrator;
  • in signing the enrolment form you agree to abide by all University rules and regulations;
  • temporary enrolment for up to three months may be granted if you are a full-time student and cannot fulfil all conditions at the time of enrolment;
  • enrolment may be cancelled by Senate if you fail to keep to the University rules and regulations;
  • you must enrol at the beginning of each year of your course;
  • if you are in debt to the University you cannot enrol until the debt is cleared;
  • if you are on leave of absence you do not need to enrol during the period of leave but must enrol when you return to the University;
  • if you are on a sabbatical year you do not need to re-enrol. However, you are still considered to be a registered student during this period.

You are responsible for:

  • notifying any changes to your personal details including change of name and course details to the Registry Office on your campus or Student Services centre on the Belfast campus immediately (you can update your address details on your portal);
  • keeping yourself acquainted with notices on official notice boards and through the University’s IT infrastructure, VLE, the Student Portal and by accessing your university e-mail account regularly;
  • keeping in regular contact with your Studies Adviser.


You must:

  • attend the University for the full academic year;
  • attend classes punctually and regularly;
  • notify immediately your Course/Subject Director or Research Supervisor if you have been absent without permission for more than three days through illness or other cause and, where the absence is due to illness and is for a period of more than five working days, supply a medical certificate. If you wish to give notification of absence you should login to Banner Student Self Service and complete and submit the online NA1 form, which can be found in the Personal Information section. This should be done by the fifth working day of absence.